reading group is very advanced!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by leannwade, Nov 18, 2008.

1. leannwade

leannwade Rookie

Nov 18, 2008

I am looking for some ideas to use with my highest reading group. I am currently using the Henry and Mudge series with them, but it can become somewhat repetitive. They really need to be challenged. I am up for anything!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 18, 2008

With my higher readers we did an Arnold Lobel study. I love, love Owl at Home and so did they. It is so sweet and the stories are funny and make the kids think.

We also read Frog and Toad are friends and then they each picked another Lobel book to read on their own. I don't know what level Henry and Mudge is, but if they can read the Lobel books I recommend them!

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2008

Last week my high group had to create a new cover. The author wanted a new cover for his book so the kids had to think of a new title and illustration. They also had to write a blurb on the back. After the Thanksgiving break, that group will start book clubs. I will introduce the book to them on the first day and then they can go in the hall or corner of the room and read the book together during their meeting time. They will read the book and then have a packet to fill out. The packet has discussion questions and activities for them to complete.

5. horns#1

horns#1 Rookie

Nov 22, 2008

Does your school do AR?

6. Emmy Jo

Emmy Jo Rookie

Nov 23, 2008

I'm not sure if they are quite ready for them yet, but during the second semester I read Boxcar Children chapter books with my highest reading group. They love them, and it's a good way to get them into reading chapter books.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 3, 2008

How about Amelia Bedilia? The Arnold Lobel idea is great! My P. just subbed for me, read Frog and Toad to the class, and did an art project with them - frog dressed for winter on a sled! They used a pencil for directed drawing, then colored their picture with water colors, then drew over their pencil lines with a skinny black marker. I came back to class and was stunned at the great job they did - sorry, didn't mean to hijack!