reading group dilemma (not the noise)

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by alana, Sep 4, 2007.

1. alana

alana Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

I have been doing alot of reading on conducting reading groups etc. They are mostly saying that when doing reading groups you should not have the children read aloud! They should be silently reading and the teacher assisting as you go. I have not down this the last couple of years!! I know that round robin reading is frowned upon now! I'm not sure how to do this and how I know if they are using the correct strategies to figure out unknown text etc. Can someone give me some idea to what they do in reading groups please! I am struggling here!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2007

Last year, I would have the students start whisper reading. Then I would listen to each student read a particular part of the story and continue down the line until I had heard all the students. Then we would come together as a group and discuss the story and if they got caught on any words or didn't understand something. If they didn't bring up what I heard, then I would add that to the group. We had a workshop on guided reading, and the presenter suggested not having a table, but having students up close to you: one at each shoulder, one in front of you, and one behind you. I never jumped on this bandwagon.

4. MsX

MsX Companion

Sep 5, 2007

I'm in a similar situation this year! I realized (after doing some thorough reading about reader's workshop) that students are not suppoesd to read aloud. I too wondered exactly how this worked, but I found a site where there are some videos that demonstrate how to run a reading workshop and writer's workshop.
    http://quest.carnegiefoundation.org/~dpointer/jennifermyers/workshopapproach.htm

I thought all the videos on the page were helpful, but the last one, "Guided Reading Group," shows exactly what you're talking about. The thing that confuses me about the video is that it does not seem that the students all FINISH the book. If anyone watches this video and can explain it to me, I'd love to know what the deal is!

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

I read aloud for the beginning of the year. Esp. with my lower groups. Some of these little first grader just don't know how to read and need the guidence. As we move towards late october, nov. I start letting them read alone, whisper and I listen to each kid for a page or so.

6. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 13, 2007

I always have them read aloud but quietly and I tap hands to let them know I'm listening to them. Even in 2nd grade I've done this. You may find that lots of kids will skip pages just to keep up with peers or to finish first if you let them read silently. It has happened in every reading group I've directed. I'd make them mumble read till they are in higher level chapter books ready for lit circles where you truly know they are engaged in books, Maybe by L or M books.