Reading Goal

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by MrsFrench, Jun 29, 2009.

1. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

I'd like to set a reading goal for the students this year to use as part of their grade. We use Accelerated Reader at our school, and the student have a goal of reading 4 books per month to get their Book-It Pizza Hut certificate. I ran into some kids reading long chapter books, and other reading really short books, which isn't fair. I'm thinking of doing points for next year. Anyway...should i set a monthly goal of AR points? A quarterly goal would be easier for report cards, but that's a long time to go....what are your suggestions? What do you do for a goal? What kind of sheet do you have your kids/parents fill out? Thanks!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

Okay - not an elementary teacher but putting in my two cents for what is it worth (probably not much :))

I never liked these programs while my DD were in elementary school for several reasons - DD#1 reads constantly and easily made the required AR points within the first few weeks of school. She was not challenged at all by this program - she read because she loved to read and it became a really big deal within the classroom of the number of AR points she had in a negative way - cheating by her teacher, anger at winning all the "awards", . . . DD#2 takes about one month to read a small chapter book. She HATES to read and I believe she hates it even more because of AR points. I had to make her read since the AR points were part of her grade. It was quite possibly the worst experience of entire elementary years. By the time she was in 5th grade, she was required to obtain so many AR points she was defeated before she even started. So, sorry, just my rant and vent about AR points

BTW - both my DD's had to take test for their AR points. I never signed or recorded any info