Reading First

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeachFirst123, Nov 28, 2008.

1. TeachFirst123

TeachFirst123 Rookie

Nov 28, 2008

Is there anyone that works at a Reading First school? This is our third year being a Reading First school. While there are things I like about it, there are definitely things I don't. I love DIBELS. It gives me such a good idea of where my students are and what they need help with. However, I hate the strict guidelines of the 90 minute Reading Block. I hate that there is no flexibility in this time frame and with Interventions taking up another 30 minutes of the day, there is no time to do anything else. I just wondered if anyone else did Reading First and what their thoughts were.

3. old n new

old n new Rookie

Dec 2, 2008

We are getting trained in Reading First this winter. I am interested in everyone's experiences with this program.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 2, 2008

I student taught at a reading first school. They were the "big" school in the area, so it was supposed to be the next great thing. They kept with it for 2, maybe 3 years, then they quit (or whatever you have to do), citing the same things you said. Personally, I found the restrictions ridiculous. We were supposed to have reading lab in the computer lab, but we couldn't take the 30 seconds to walk down the hallway. Plus, the "research based" basal they used was awful. To make matters worse, my school I'm at now adopted the same basal based on this school's recommendation. Now we're stuck with a zonk of a reading program.

5. TeachFirst123

TeachFirst123 Rookie

Dec 5, 2008

We are lucky because I do really like our basal. We just adopted it last year and everyone is very happy with it. The time restrictions on the reading block are definitely what I do not like. Scheduling is a nightmare. When trying to schedule PE, Music, Art, speech students, Reading Recovery students, ... it is so hard to work around everything.
    Also, the no pull outs during this time has made it hard. For example, I have an MIMH student in my room during the block and so does one of the other 1st grade teachers. The MIMH assistant would be available for 30 minutes to come and help during small group, but she can't pull one student from the other class to be able to work with both of them together. We would have to have both of them in the same class for the entire block and since they are both behavior problems, this just seems unfair to ask one of us to take them both for the 90 minutes when we will only have extra hands for 30 minutes. It just seems like it would be in the best interests of everyone, if the MIMH assistant could have a small group with the two of them right outside our classroom (we don't even have doors so it's not like it's a far away.)

6. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Dec 8, 2008

You took the words right out of my mouth! Scheduling is awful! Our "research based" reading series takes from 8:15-11:00 to complete--and sometimes longer than that. Then after lunch we do 30 minutes of intervention. That leaves 45 minutes for math. Then our kids go to P.E. from 12:50-1:35. The time from 1:35 until dismissal at 2:30 is the only time we have to do anything "fun" and then the kids are so wired we can't get anything done except pack up and eat snack.