Reading directions for assignments and tests?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by crunchytxmama, Dec 29, 2010.

1. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Dec 29, 2010

At what age do you stop doing this? I have a second grade group with a huge range of ability levels. It's a small group (11 for Math and 8 for Reading). I have three more for math because one of my second graders goes back to first grade for reading, one third grader comes down for math, and another first grader comes up for math (we are in a private school). One of my second graders reads at a kinder level and is in the process (finally!) of being tested for disabilities. All that to say that I have a huge range of reading levels, so I've been reading all the directions for tests and assignments aloud to the class. I teach third grade for religion and don't read the directions, so I'm wondering when do you transition them to this?

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 29, 2010

At the beginning of the year I have my students read the directions aloud with me. I have a transparency of the directions and we talk about the key words and I ask them to underline those on their papers. Then I ask for volunteers to tell in their own words what they are to do.

Now I am expecting them to read the instructions on their own. I often hide a little surprise in them...something like draw a dog by question #4 for extra credit. For students who still ask what they are to do I have them read the directions aloud to me and then translate them into their own words.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

I know that when I taught second grade, I still either read the directions aloud or had the students read the directions aloud. Towards the end of the year, I would have them read the directions to themselves, but the directions always asked them to do something when they were done reading....like write their name in the bottom left corner.

5. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Dec 29, 2010

I still read directions aloud with my students and I teach 5th grade. I have a group of six students who I read the entire test to each time we have a test. I do this because of a 504 and the LEP levels of the other 5. I have read other tests aloud to my whole class when needed especially if we are doing a test using the Promethean Board as I have to read it aloud to the six students any way.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

Grade 3 is a testing year in my state. At that point students who still need directions and questions read to then would need an IEP or 504 plan to have these accommodations, so it's good that earlier grades are teaching students how to read and follow directions.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 30, 2010

We just had this conversation in a meeting because my fellow 1st Grade teachers wanted to start having the kids read the directions themselves in January when we return.

My opinion is, if you are assessing a skill and want a true assessment of that skill, they have to understand what the questions/answers say. Otherwise, it they get the math question wrong, it's not necessariliy because they didn't know the answer, but could be because they couldn't understand the question.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

I agree. In fact, on our Provincial Assessments in grades 3, 6, and 9, we are able to read, verbatim, any questions that a student asks us to read.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 30, 2010

I still read the directions with my 5th graders. Since I have a wide variety of reading levels in my classroom, I want to make sure I am reaching all of my students. On homework, I will go over the directions as well, but I will ask my students to read it and underline what they are expected to do on the homework. We encourage underlining important information, and where they find the answer on assessments, so this fits in nicely.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

That's the same here for Math, at least. I think there's a somewhat stricter guideline when it comes to the reading portion of our Literacy Assessment at the end of grades 2 and 4... I should look into that.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

I went back to look into our guidelines--questions can be read in Writing and Mathematics sections, not in Reading. The questions cannot be read aloud to the whole class, just to individual students who request and must be read verbatim, with no explanation or emphasis.

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the same as our guidelines.

13. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Dec 30, 2010

I teach second grade and have students that read from K to above grade level and ELL. I read everything to my students. The students who can read, work ahead and the rest of the class works with me.