reading corner

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by heathers, Jul 31, 2007.

1. heathers

heathers Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

hi I teach 4th grade, and would like to have a reading corner in my room where the chidlren can go and read when they are finished with their work. I did not do this last year, but would like to give them more opportunity to move around the room this upcoming year. I did this in 1st grade and the children seemed to just fool around and talk rather than read. Any ideas or suggestions to make this run smoothly??

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

You just have to enforce your rules for reading like any other. If you let them discuss for 5 minutes at the end of silent reading, that helps.

4. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I usually go in rotations. I have 5 table groups, so each group gets a day to spend their silent reading time, or completed work time there.

5. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I really like the idea of having rotations! I, too, would like to have a place where my first graders could go and read after their work but I expected too much talking and fooling around. But by limiting the people, it should be manageable! Thanks!

6. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I have 5 beanbags in my classroom. The kids are allowed to take them anywhere in the room to read. I go down the list of kids so everyone gets a turn. If they pass on their day, they have to wait until the next time around for their next turn. (For example, they can't pass today because their friend is on the list for tomorrow, so they can both have one.)

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

We do the rotations as well. It just works better. I go down a list so kids can go to the comfortable reading corner, too, which is seperate from the classroom library. Kids can just relax there and silent read in groups of 5-6 (because the kids work in reading partnerships). I'll say "This is the day that group one is able to go to the reading corner" or whatever. Or group 1 will always go on A Day, group 2 on B Day, group 3 on C Day, group 4 on D Day, and group 5 on E Day. On F Day (I add one extra rotation because of my Gifted readers who get pulled), nobody is there.

8. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

For my reading center, I don't have the kids sit there. I actually don't have room for that. They go & get a book & come back to their seat. When I did have room in my old classroom, I limited it to 3 students. IF they saw 3 there already, they couldn't go in.