Reading Conferences

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by zoodies, Aug 11, 2010.

1. zoodies

zoodies Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

What do you do for reading conferences? I have had the students read to me in the past and ask questions about their books, but sometimes this is very confusing with 24 different books (some that I have not read). Do you follow any type of form or routine when conferencing? I would love some better organizational ideas!
    I kept a legal pad with the students name on a different page and would write down notes and dates to keep track of who and what we conferenced about. I need more substance to my conferences.

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

For conferences, I have my students tell me what kinds of strategies they're using to read, what's working, if they're confused about anything, etc. Then I have them explain the characters, conflict, how the setting influences them, what the characters are doing about the conflict, etc.

I teach them strategies and literary elements so that's what I question them on - that way I don't really need to know what the book is about.

I keep a binder for conferences - each student gets their own page. I keep track of what they're reading, comments they made, things they want to work on or that I want them to work on until the next conference.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 27, 2010

Read The Daily Five and the assessment book that accompanies it, CAFE. The Cafe book goes into assessment and reading conferences. There are some templates you could use for documentation.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 27, 2010

???????