Reading conference!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by jitterbug2, Nov 21, 2006.

1. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Nov 21, 2006

I had the opportunity to hear Tim Risinski at a reading conference this Friday and thought I'd throw some awesome ideas out for you!

He suggested that you send home a readers theater poem/speech for them every Monday. Practice it for about five minutes every morning and on Fridays have them read it to the class with emphasis. This gives them practice reading and increases fluency and comprehension. He said that if you do simply this you can make a gain of a year and a half with your entire class!

Also, begin each day with a song (all the classics, I've been working on the railroad, take me out to be ballgame, yankee doodle). Once they know the song by heart switch the words to it. For instance, Alan Katz books are awesome because he took all of these tunes and wrote new words. Then they have to read the words to know which version they are singing!

Check out his book. He had so many ideas these are only a couple!

3. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Nov 21, 2006

I hadn't heard about the RT idea, thanks!

My kids school already does the song idea. Since its a small school, the song of the week is played over the PA system, and the teachers have the words for their students to follow along with.

The music teacher thought it would be nice to introduce a new song each week, so they learned the classic songs...and then she began changing the words (even allowing the kids to make up the new words). They have to read the script to know which version they are singing.

The principal gets a kick out of changing the songs week to week, so she doesn't have to listen (or sing) the same song everyday either.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2006

I do a "Poem of the Week" with my 2nd graders and it is going very well. We read the poem every morning during shared reading, talk about rhyming words, popcorn words (sight words) in the poem as well as place the poem in the Poetry center where they cut the poem out, paste it in their poetry books, illustrate what the poem looks like to them and write a response to it. Whew!!!
    Anyway, I've never read anything from this guy but are you saying that he suggests that you break the poem down as a Readers Theater type thing and give each child a line etc. to recite???? I like that idea. How would you manage something like that??? Do you let half the class do the RT one week , then the rest of the class the next week?? I would love to hear more about this.

5. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Nov 24, 2006

You could do it that way. The way that he suggested was to give each student a short poem to practice on Monday. They practice all week long and then on Friday they each get to read their poem. Then they could read them in groups or alternating or however at the end of the week. Or they might have different poems according to reading level. This would change it up a little. It was so awesome. In the research study they did they had a fourth grade special educ student reading Sojourner Truth's "Ain't I a woman" with so much expression! It was amazing. He writes for a lot of Scholastic. The name of the book he gave us was "The Fluent Reader." He also wrote alot of the word ladder books and "Fast Start for Early Readers." They are all in Scholastic. The last book I mentioned was awesome too because it is for early readers or struggling readers. You send home one nursery rhyme each day for them to read to as many people as they can. Each time they read it to someone, that person writes their name on the back of the paper and they have a competition to see who can get the most names. The become the "Lucky Listeners Club." But the nursery rhymes are not intimidating to the child or the parent (who may be a struggling reader themselves) and it still gives them the PRACTICE reading!

6. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Nov 24, 2006

You also don't necessarily have to use a poem. It could be a speech, a song, a script, a letter (maybe for history or from Santa); anything that would add excitement and VOICE!

He also suggested mixing things up with Alan Katz's songs, Jack Prelutski's poems, and GigglePoetry.com.

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2006

WoW!!!!!!!!! I totally love the "Lucky Listeners Club" idea!!!! To have loved ones and family members sign the back of the poem each time they read it to someone.:p I am starting this activity on Monday!!! But I think I understand what you are saying. To have the children take the poem home, read it fluently, practice it and then have them recite it on Friday. And I like the idea of doing songs and letters also. Thanks for the idea. I love to get new and interesting ideas from so many experienced teachers.:D