Reading comprehension strategies...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Jun 26, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 26, 2009

When you are teaching your class a reading strategy (predicting, questioning, visualizing..etc), how much time do you spend teaching it before you move to a new strategy?

I'm starting to plan for next year and we are supposed to teach a new focus skill every week. I don't think it's enough time to teach and then have the students practice. I'm thinking of talking to my team and see if we can take two weeks for each skill. Would that be too much? We use Harcourt Trophies.

Thank you!!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 26, 2009

I thought Harcourt Trophies had a skill of the week. If I"m not mistaken, in grade 4, week 1 is Using Context to Confirm Meaning, week 2 is Making and Confirming Predictions, etc. Do you do an addition skill of the week?

4. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 27, 2009

I have Houghton Mifflin which introduces a different skill every week also. I think it's too fast, there's not enough time for students to really grasp the concept. Next year I'm going to introduce each strategy very quickly in the first couple of weeks, then focus on one for about 2 - 3 weeks. The first week is spent with hands on examples, creating charts, working with partners, etc. Weeks 2 (& 3) will be the students demonstrating their understanding during reading workshop.

5. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jun 27, 2009

I use Reading Street with Scott Foresman and we have a new focus skill every week. Although, we teach the same skill about every six weeks. In each unit there are additional activities with each skill.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2009

This is what I use as well. I like that the skill loops (although, by the end it is sometimes a bit old for the kids). Just have to convince them they still need to review it. :thumb:

7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

We don't really use our set of books from Scott Foresman. We are more of a reading workshop school. We typically focus on a skill anywhere from 3-4 weeks.