Reading Certification? Under grad or Masters?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teacherece, Aug 10, 2005.

1. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 10, 2005

I'll be student teaching in January and graduate with a P-3 cert, and P-3 special education as well as BS in writing arts. I want to get my reading cert. Is it better to get it at undergrad or wait until I have a job and go back for masters?
    Thanks in advance for feedback

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 10, 2005

I graduated this past May with a BSE in elementary (1-6) and BS in Psychology. Since I only have five years to get my masters I've been thinking quite a bit about it and I think I'll most likely get it in Reading. I would suggest the same for you if that's what interests you. You're so close to graduation, adding more things in might mess things up. Just my opinion.

4. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 10, 2005

Beth,
    thanks for responding. Trust me the last thing I want to do is add something. However, I can get into the reading program in Sept. and still graduate in June with all my certs. The college will give me one year to finish my reading cert. at the undergrad level. My thinking here was I would have some really great reading teaching classes by the time I start actually teaching and, most importantly, get my cert at an undergrad price instead of graduate.

What did you mean by having 5 years to get your masters? Is there a time limit?
    Thanks in advance.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 10, 2005

If you can do it and still graduate on time then it might be a good idea to go for it. I wasn't even thinking about the price differences, but thats definitely a good point! haha Just be sure to consider the fact that you'll most likely be very busy during student teaching and you don't want to have too many other things on your plate during that time.
    As far as the five years....here in Massachusetts when you're first licensed you receive your "initial license" and then once you're hired to work full-time in the public schools the clock starts ticking. The initial license is only valid for five years of employment so during that time you have to get your Masters in order to receive your "professional license" otherwise, you're not licensed anymore. The requirements here are pretty nuts, but any competent, dedicated teacher is more than capable of satisfying them.

6. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 10, 2005

Beth:
    Thanks for responding back. You're right, I think I shouldn't have any more on my plate than my student teaching. I do have next summer thereafter to finish. I believe I will only need 6 classes.

Wow, I'm shocked that you have to get your masters or loose your license. I guess Mass. doesn't have a problem with Highly Qualified Teachers. You're right though, it doesn't take much to finish 10 classes in 5 years.

Good luck to you!

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 10, 2005

In Mass, if you've received your initial license you're automatically considered "highly qualified." Thank goodness! :)

8. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Aug 10, 2005

On this train of thought...does anyone in Texas know how this works? What is the difference between Standard License and Provisional? Is there a deadline for a masters in Texas? I just graduated in May and my certificate is Standard.

9. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 10, 2005

Congrats on getting your certificate. Sorry, I'm not where you are yet, but I'm sure some really nice teachers will respond and help you.

Good luck to you.

P.S. How did you get the really cute (avatar) or clipart above your name (the bus). All I could find were blackboards with grades people teach. Thanks in advance.

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 10, 2005

Some of the avatars require being a member for a certain amount of time or having a certain number of posts. Just keep coming back and posting and they'll be available to you! :) Sorry I don't know the specific time frames of number of posts, but I'm sure other members do.

11. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Aug 10, 2005

I'm new to the boards also, but after you have posted 50 times, you get more choices (same place as the little blackboards!) Good luck with your quest for info. Hated to intrude on your thread, but I needed some of the same answers! ;)

12. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 10, 2005

your post was not an intrusion...that's why we're all here...to help and support each other. :love:

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 12, 2005

The other thing to think about with undergrad vs. masters is that in most places, having your master's will earn you a higher salary... of course, the classes are more expensive... so it's a bit of a trade-off...

14. MzB

MzB Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

I know in my state, once you have your first certification, all you have to do to get another cert. area is to take and pass the PRAXIS II for that area. For example, since part of my early childhood cert, requires the elem. ed content knowledge, all I have to do is take the elem ed content area exercises and then I'll have elem ed cert to go with my early childhood and special ed.

But I'm sure that depends on the district you work for. I wouldn't worry about it until you get a job. See what they will allow.

15. dee

dee Companion

Aug 13, 2005

MzB,

It works the same way in my state. I would like to take PRAXIS II for early childhood to add on to my elem ed certification.

16. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 19, 2005

Thanks everyone for answering my question.

I'm going to take an extra class in the fall that goes toward my reading cert. I'll only need a few more and I can take them next summer. If I end up getting a job, then I can go back to get MA and the school will pay for it. If I don't get a job right away, I can finish my reading cert and it will give me another area to look into for teaching.

I'm hoping that by getting into the reading program and getting a few classes in before I graduate in the spring, I'll have additional knowledge in teaching reading (which I love) and am hoping it will help when I try to find a job.

In NJ, once I teach for one year, I can take the Praxis II and get my K-5 cert, but I'm not interested in teaching anything other than kind. to 3rd.

17. MzB

MzB Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

They don't have an early childhood certification? EC is only supposed to be pre-K to 3rd. Some one once told me (and this is why I switched over from elem to EC/SPED) that is you have a cert. for all elem, your principal can reorganize the class assignments at any time, and they can "ask" (make) you teach another grade. By limiting your certification (if you're sure about what you DON'T want to teach) they can't make you because you can say "Well, I'm not certified to teach that grade". That was the best advice I've ever gotten from my college LOL.

18. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 20, 2005

Mzb,
    My cert will be P-3 in reg.ed and spec. ed. After I teach for a year, if I choose, I can take the praxis II and get a k-5 cert which gives me 4th & 5th grade. I may choose to do this because with all the restructuring that goes on, I don't want to get a job and then loose it because of restructuring. I'm up for getting any certifications I can...you can never know too much. Since my coord maj. is Writing Arts, I will also be eligible to take Lang. Arts Praxis portion too. It's nice to have options because you never know once you're out in the market looking for a job.

19. MzB

MzB Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

Oh ok. We have the same certifications! Options are always nice to have.