Reading Buddies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sharon122, Aug 31, 2008.

1. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

This year I want to have a more structured session. My 3rd graders will be working with a kindergarten class. I thought the first session can be a getting to know you interview followed by creating a book "My Buddy and Me".
    I read about taking a color walk on the playground looking for objects that match the color word on an index card, then putting the info on a chart.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks.

3. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 31, 2008

My former class (K-2 multiage) buddied with a fourth grade class.
    We started with a few get to know activities and reading books. Then, expanded to math games, reading games, big book extensions, writing and illustrating little books, art projects, theme projects, and outdoor games. One year, we made placemats and centerpieces to decorate the tables for the turkey dinner in Nov. We had everything set up in my room. It was wonderful!! Our school was near downtown. One year the city purchased christmas trees and we made decorations for the trees. The trees were on display in the center of the city. We walked and decorated the trees. The city furnished snacks.
    The 4th grade teacher is quite precise about keeping things clean. Imagine what happens when you leaven 5-6 year olds at a table with pinecones, glue, and glitter. And no adult supervision. What a mess!!!!!!! The other teacher and I loved all the things we did over the course of the two years. We made it a priority in scheduling...2 or 3 times a month, sometimes every week. This all happened 14 years and we still talk about those special days and the kids!!!