Reading Block: What does yours look like?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Calalilys, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 17, 2008

This has always been that block of time where I know I can do a better job at teaching it. My question to you guys is this: What does your reading block of time look like? I'm talking from start to finish. Also, do you do small groups the entire week or only on certain days? Do you do some whole group instruction and then small groups in the same day? My block of time is 90 minutes so I've always wondered if I could really do some whole group and then meet with small groups in that period of time.

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2008

I begin with a mini lesson (10 minutes)
    Kids then Read to Self (15-20 minutes) while I meet with a guided reading group.
    Kids read with someone (15-20 minutes) while I conference with about 3 kids or meet with another group
    Sharing (3-5 minutes)

4. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jun 17, 2008

I have 75- 90 minute blocks. I do a 5-10 min. mini-lesson/read aloud, then student do 30-35 independent reading while I conference or meet with groups, 5 min. wrap up to refocus on mini-lesson, then the remainder of the time is direct instruction or book clubs.

5. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jun 17, 2008

two words..... daily five
    google it

6. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 17, 2008

-Mini-lesson on the reading carpet [*10-15 minutes*]

-Student work period (students have a work board that tells them what their center is for the day: Guided Reading, Independent Reading, Partner Reading, Computers, or Listening Center). A couple of times a week, they are asked to write in their Reading Response Journals... depending on the skill we're working on, they may be asked to compare/contrast characters in their book, make a connection, respond to literature.. ect. ) [*40-45 minutes*]

-Closing Meeting/Share Time [*5 minutes*]

Next year, I'm going to try really hard to meet with two guided reading groups a day, Monday-Thursday. I need to work on my time management, because I couldn't seem to meet with more than one group a day this year. I don't meet with any groups on Friday, because we don't have time!

7. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 17, 2008

I guess my problem is that we are required to use the Houghton-Mifflin curriculum during those 90 minutes, five days a week. Our students get to use the Leveled Readers (small group instruction) within the curriculum, but the rest of the class has to be doing something reading releated from the textbook at all times. We really do not have much freedom during our 90 minutes so I want to make sure that I'm making the most of my time.

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 17, 2008

I do a whole class shared reading segment (I teach mini-lessons as they come up in the text) each day. This lasts about 20 minutes. Then I meet with groups for 20 mins. each like this:

For the first 20 minutes, Group A (above level) meets for Literature Circle while I meet with Group C (On level) for Guided Reading. Groups B and D are Reading Silently, Doing a Writing Assignment related to the Whole Class Selection for the Week, or doing Reading Assignments on the computer.

For the last 20 mins, I meet with Group D (Below Level) while Group B (advanced) meets for Literature Circle and Groups A and C are Reading Silently, Doing a Writing Assignment related to the Whole Class Selection for the Week, or doing Reading Assignments on the computer.

Most weeks, the advanced groups actually only meet three days a week, and the on level group meets 4 days a week, but I meet with the lower group every single day.

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 18, 2008

10- structural analysis
    10- spelling
    10-vocabulary
    30-(whole group comprehension HM basal)
    30-(small group instruction/ literacy groups)
    30-(writing)
    30-(LA)

10. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jun 18, 2008

60 minutes of combined small groups and centers
    40 minutes of whole group reading
    20 minutes of spelling

11. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 18, 2008

Houghton-mifflin has alot of center ideas to you in your classroom and extensions to your other lessons (aside from the guided reading mini-books). I started using their G.R. books and then stopped using them after the first set of stories. The stories are meaningless, have no depth to them, and are extremely boring. So I use my own purchased sets. If you do a language arts center you can use the skill lessons from the whole group reading that you'll do throughout the day. This, for me, is separate from G.R. For my reading block I have 75 minutes. I meet with 2 grps. for 25 minutes each at the same time my para meets with my top grp. for 25 minutes. The other 25 minutes I work with individual students if need be.

12. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 18, 2008

Oh, and I believe the G.R. book by G.S. Pinnell and Fountas recommends doing G.R. 4 days a week and the 5th day is for planning, running records and such. :unsure: