Reading Block Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Bradley, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 26, 2008

I am looking for someone to give me some advice on my Reading lessons everyday! I teach in a departmentalized 4th grade so I teach only Reading. I only get 45 minutes each block to teach Reading..and I have 4 blocks a day.

I have found it REALLY hard to get all the information in that I need to teach (last year was my first year). I've been getting really interested in doing some type of Reading Workshop but I feel like I don't have enough time to complete it each day.

Here was my weekly schedule that I followed last year if it will help :)

Mon- Introduce skill for the week/vocab words
    Tues-Read the story for the week (Scott Foresman Reading Street)
    Wed- Review skill/story/vocab...complete study guide usually
    Thurs- Test on story for the week & vocab
    Fri- Read leveled readers..tried to do groups and would meet with one group a week

I would like to try to keep the weekly test on Thursday.

Does anyone have any suggestions??? PLEASE!!!!! :D

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2008

45 minutes for reading is not much!!
    Do you have to use the basal?
    I would do way more on Monday than just introduce skill and vocab; that doesn't really involve any actual reading. Same with Thursday - how long is the test? Do you have to do this every week?
    Do they have to read the story in class?
    45 minutes on Friday for just one group is a long time. What are the others doing?

I do a variety of things for reading; a LITTLE bit of the basal, novel units, reader's theatre, Time for Kids, independent reading, poetry, book talks, etc.

4. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Who is teaching writing? Is that your responsibility, too?
    I agree with Missy. If you don't have to use the basal you would probably be better off. My students read for about 30 minutes independently each day. My literacy block is 100 minutes (1 hr and 40 minutes). I am going to be trying a workshop approach this year. Reading workshop on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and Writing workshop the other two days.
    I am still planning on doing their novels and following the district curriculum, but at the same time doing my own thing.

5. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

I co-taught a fourth grade reading skills group. For most of the year, we covered one book a week. Monday was background knowledge...usually took all period (we had 50 minutes)..usually we didn't even start the book. One book I gave them a loan from a bank and they had to design and buy equipment for their own barbershop for a book we were reading about barbershops....another time a quick run down on fun things about China, etc.

On Tuesday was vocabulary (which included needing to know the definition) which took about half the period...we may have done a picture walk first, or started round-robin reading as a group. Wednesday was more reading....we changed the reading style as needed...more round-robin, partner, independent, etc. Throughout the reading we discussed what happened in the book up to that point.

Thursday was finishing the reading and assessment...vocab and comprehension. The books used were on grade level, but were short books with pictures. We didn't meet on Fridays. Towards the end of the year, we extended the units to weeks as we used chapter books. We had a few English Language Learners and this style seemed to help them improve their reading. Plus, I thought it was rather fun.

6. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Thanks for all the suggestions! :D

I do have to use the basal and give a weekly test. Usually reading the story takes a whole day and the test takes about 30-35 minutes of another day. So that leaves me down to 3 days.

I was thinking the same thing LionPride about the Reading Workshop on Mon, Wed, & Fri. I do not have to teach Writing so that helps me.

I really like the Reading workshop approach that Beth Newingham uses and was just wondering if doing it only 3 days a week would be effective. I guess it is better than what I did last year though. :confused:

7. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 31, 2008

Ok so I was at school yesterday and found out that my new Reading block will be for a whole hour!! I'm super excited because I feel like I can get a whole lot more done each day!!

Any suggestions on an hour block a day with Reading? I really want to try a Readers Workshop but not sure how to implement it because I teach 4 different classes.

What do you think? :confused: