Reading block ideas needed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ghost, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

My school is adopting a schoolwide 45 minute reading block and my class is expected to participate. My kids are in the moderate-severe range, so some of things I've considered are:
    -read aloud
    -message of the day/maybe a group writing activity
    -books on tape learning center
    -starfall.com on the computer

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!:help:

3. kinderK27

kinderK27 Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

45 min should be easy to fill. Depending on the age and their level. I had a 2 hour reading block. It was general classroom, but I could give you some ideas. 15-20 minutes phonics activities. reviewing vowel sounds, rhyming, replacing letters: " Say mat, not take off the mmm and add a sss what's the word?", word games: "I am thinking of a word with the oi sound that is something you could do on a stove" Stuff like that.

My kids were lower than average so it would take us a while to get through a story. After phonics we would improve reading skills through ehco reading, partner reading and silent reading of a story before group reading. Then we would talk about vocabulary, my K-W-L charts, look for words in the story that related to the phonics lesson and spell them. This could take 20-40 minutes depending on what you do.

Centers were important and the kids liked those. That is where you could do your writing activities, books on tape, computer time and things like that.

I hope this helps. I have a lot more ideas, keeping kids interested for 2 hours gives you a lot of creativity.

4. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

Thanks KinderK, but I'm not so sure that those activities would work for my guys....I've got some who are 5th grade and still don't know all the letters of the alphabet. Our reading program is more lifeskills driven: identifying community signs (stop, hospital, restroom etc.) That's what is giving me the problem. A read-aloud and going through the community signs would only take 15 minutes or so. :(

5. BeckyRamone

BeckyRamone Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

How about just adopting a book a week to explore at their level. Do the first day as a prediction lesson, looking at pictures and getting them to try and think about who the characters are, what theyre doing etc with all the text masked. Then for the next 2 days, read the book focusing on one identified element. Then do a guided lesson on that element focused where they then do a worksheet or activity - maybe a game on the computer that deals with the same element.

Just a thought.

6. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I do "make word" activities with my first graders, some of whom have very low skills. I chose a "magic word" that relates to something concrete, (like "spring") I use magnetic letters either on the white board or the overhead (the overhead works better). For them to manipulate I cut strips of graphed chart paper one square per letter and have them write the letters out of order and cut the squares. Then we make words together starting with the smallest ("who knows a two-letter word we can make?") building up until someone gets the "magic" word. In my class the making words is almost entirely driven by me--"If you at the "p" to the front of "in" does anyone know what word we have?" Once they've done it as a group activity the same word can become a center to review the process.

Patricia Cunningham's Month to Month Phonics has make-word activities, and there's a book entitled Make Words or Making words (sorry, it's in my classroom). I don't use it much because the base words are too complicated for my kids.

Also, you can do partner reading. Even if they're not actually reading the words, they can be doing picture walks and verbalizing what they see happening in the story. If you model this they will get the idea.

Good luck--I hope this helps.

7. kinderK27

kinderK27 Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

you could still do some of that stuff. Do letter activities rather than phonics. Show pictures of the shapes of the signs and ask them to identify them. And the prediction activities like picture walks and guessing endings or K-W-L charts will work with any story and should be something you do before reading any story aloud. It will help them develop more of a understanding for why they are hearing or reading a book.

8. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

Thank you all for the ideas....I had an inkling and y'all gave it direction :)