Reading Benchmark program

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Rabbitt, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2013

We currently only use AIMS WEB.
    We need something that shows more growth over several years. Some want to use Reading A to Z and others Fountas and Pinnell.

Talk to me about what you use or would love to use. Any assessment program is fine.

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Dec 3, 2013

Reading A to Z or F&P aren't going to show any more growth than AIMSweb. What specifically are you looking to show? Part of the problem with any curriculum-based assessment program is that the curriculum changes over time, so showing progress against the same curriculum becomes more difficult. There are assessment packages such as MAP that do attempt to show progress against an absolute, fixed curriculum/standard that doesn't change over the course of years, but that's a lot more expensive/involved.

In reality, I do believe you can show multi-year growth with AIMSweb, in part by how you interpret/organize the data. For example, you could graph the percentage of students at different risk levels several points throughout the year. For an individual student, you could track risk level for that particular student. Wouldn't necessarily be a continuous measure (e.g., moving 40% to 60%), but would be able to show progress for an individual student in terms of risk status.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2013

I too think AIMS is enough.
    I like the progress monitoring part the most.

Some teachers want an actual level the kids were at the year before.
    Like K.
    I don't understand why they cannot just use the Lexile AIMS gives.
    They plan to write it into Teacher Effectiveness goals we are required to write next year.
    I think they can get the same results with fall benchmarks that will show current level as well as summer loss.

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Dec 3, 2013

There are correlation charts if all you're looking for is a reading level. Just look at words correct per minute and find where the child falls. Reading a to z has a good one last time I checked. Still, wcm will be more precise.