Reading at Home Ideas

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by bethany1120, Jul 2, 2011.

1. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Jul 2, 2011

I need a new idea for how to handle reading at home. In the past, I would send home a weekly sheet in which parents would write down books that were read with their child that week. For each sheet that was brought back, the students recieved a sticker for a chart and when they had 4 got a Pizza Hut certificate.

This process would go over well with some familes, but some would not participate or would slowly stop as the year went on.

Anyone doing something that they really like and would like to share?

Thanks!!:thumb:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2011

I used to send home book bags with the kids. Inside the book bag, we would put a few activities that the parents could work on each week. We also put many books that the students picked out so that they want to read at home.

4. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 2, 2011

I would love to see some ideas on this as well. I always have a hard time getting some parents to read at home as well.

At parent orientation this year I am going to stress how important and helpful it is to just read to your child. I don't think all parents understand that a child can be a better reader just by having someone read to them.

5. mrsrooney

mrsrooney Rookie

Jul 6, 2011

In my newsletter I would often include games and ideas for both math and literacy so parents were reminded each month that they should be working with their child and to give them fresh activities.

6. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

I have run a Home Reading Program every year, and usually start it at the beginning of October with the Ks. I write a letter home to the parents explaining the program and the importance of it.

I use a big Ziploc bag as the childs Home reading bag with their name written on the front, and inside there is one small reader and some sort of reading log. The reading log can be those cute reward charts you can get at teacher supply stores with approx 20 boxes on the them or more simply a paper with 20 spaces for the parents to write down the book and date. I tend to like using the reward charts as they are cute and seem more motivating for the kids. They fill in a square for each time they read ... they can fill in the squares with stickers, checkmarks, happy faces, parents initials, etc., basically anything (only one per day). Once they fill up an entire chart, students choose a "reading treasure" from the class "treasue chest". (My treasure chest is a box from the dollar store I painted brown with gold sparkles and added sequins as jewels). the reading treasures are small simple and *cheap* items from the dollar store.. i.e. bouncy balls, fun pencils, etc, etc. but I try to stay away from food and candy.

First thing when the students come to class, they place their Home Reading bags in a bucket so that their books can be changed out for new ones each day. Halfway through the year I start having the kids take on the responsibility of changing their books on their own.

Hope this helps... it seems to run very smoothly, with good particiation (each year there will be 1-2 kids that slow down towards the end of the year, but I think thats pretty good on the whole!) and the kids are SOOOO proud when they come in with a complete chart!

7. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Jul 7, 2011

I like your chart idea! I think I will try that this year!

All of the K teachers at my school create homework packets. The front cover of the packet is like a newsletter. It has directions for the homework, upcoming special events, and a section for the reading log at the bottom of the page. Most of the time, it's a line where the parents/student write the name of the book. They have their homework for 4 days, so the lines are labeled Mon-Thurs. Sometimes, if I just want to make it fun, I put clip art from DJ inkers at the bottom of the page. If it's winter, I put a bear with snowflakes. The students color one snowflake for each book they read. It's always attached to the homework packet so it's easier for me. Still, some students turn in that part of the homework completely blank. :(

As one of the first homework assignments, students are asked to decorate a shoe box as their book box. They turn them in and get a prize. I buy monster fingers from Oriental Trading, and they get one to use as a pointer while they read at home (I have some in my classroom from Really Good Stuff that we use when reading our books in class). We use Open Court, and with our program, each child automatically gets pre-decodable and decodable books to read. We use them in class, but ask that they read them again as part of their homework/reading log. As we make books in class, they are told to add them to their book boxes. Most students utilize their boxes. At the end of the year, students bring in their filled book boxes, and get another surprise, usually a bag of goodies for summer (pencils, erasers, bubbles, etc).

8. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 7, 2011

What do you do in the classroom to get a good response on reading logs? Do you make a big to do about when they are completed or when they aren't? Do you discuss it at parent orientation?

9. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

What do you do in the classroom to get a good response on reading logs? Do you make a big to do about when they are completed or when they aren't? Do you discuss it at parent orientation?

I make it a BIG deal when the kids come in with a returned form, with all the enthuiasm as I can... as if they just climbed Everest! They love the positive feedback. The also love to get to the next "reward" chart, as it has a different theme or cute design. The reading treasures are a huge motivator as well. If I do notice that one child isn't returning them as often, I never blame it on the child as the lack of dedication does not usually stem from them. It is a good thing to bring up at conferences if timing is right :)

10. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Aug 20, 2011

Thanks for the responses. The reading logs that I am referring to are ones that the parents write down books they read to their child. In January, I will begin sending home reading bags for my students to read books to their parents.

11. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 21, 2011

I like the treasure chest idea! I think I may use that for behavior instead. Although I wanted to steer away from incentives for good behavior, I think sometimes children just like adults need these kind of incentives.

Because the school gets pizza coupons for so many books being read they get a coupon for a free personal pan pizza.