Reading Assessments Help!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by FirstGraders, Oct 26, 2011.

1. FirstGraders

FirstGraders New Member

Oct 26, 2011

I am a first year teacher and am starting to feel ill-equipped when it comes to assessments. I know I should be keeping track of student's literacy and math skills, but I'm not sure what categories to do that in, and I do not have any resources to do so. (My curriculum for reading gives no levels/assessments, and neither give benchmarks.) I do have chapter math tests, but nothing for reading. I do have a reading inventory book, but it seems as if the resources in there can only be administered once, with their specific story.

Conferences are approaching and I want to be well-spoken of how students are doing, and I'm kind of not sure!

Where should my first graders be at in reading at this point in the year? How can I know at which level they are reading? Are there any basic reading/literacy progress forms I can use?

Help much appreciated. Thanks!!

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2011

Have you done any running records? Do you have Title 1 access, maybe they can help you.

You should have like a file folder of their work samples to show the parents.

You should have the children read a list of sight words. You should have a list of how many and which ones they should know at this point of the year.

Math you should have related progress on that as well. Such as counting and writing to 25 or 50 on their own. I don't know what your state requires. I know ours was to know how to count & write forwards and backwards.

If there is a mentor you have or another 1st grade teacher seek them out for some help!!!

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2011

You should probably do some phonemic awareness assessments... can your students segment words, blend words, identify all the letters (upper and lower), letter sounds, identify rhyming words, phonograms, have them look at some picture cards and write the names to see if they can hear, sequence and write the symbols (letters) of those sounds.
    I'd look at some running records and see what the strengths and weaknesses are of the child.
    But first I'd ask somebody at my school for help.