Reading assessments for High Schoolers

Discussion in 'High School' started by teachnew, Jul 18, 2010.

1. teachnew

teachnew Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

Hi all,

I'm about to start my first year as a high school English teacher and was wondering how you assess reading levels for high schoolers. I did my student teaching in a low performing middle school with 8th graders, and my CT had a variety of reading assessments that she administered, however, they only assessed up to the 8th grade level. Are there some tried and true hs reading assessments I can look into? I'd love to have some data on my students reading levels before we jump into Of Mice and Men!

3. dovian

dovian Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

Not that I know of, actually, although my kids are generally on grade level so it's not usually an issue. Is your high school also low performing?

You may be able to get their 8th grade levels from their permanent records, if you really really want to know, but I suggest that you give them a short writing assignment in the first few days of school. That'll give you loads of information. A sample question or two from your state standardized test might also be helpful if you can get your hands on a released item.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 18, 2010

We just use scores from past state tests as well. Teaching English is not teaching reading, so generally if you have kids who are really low, they'll be in a separate reading class in addition to yours. That teacher will probably have a test he/she administers.

5. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

6. teachnew

teachnew Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

Thanks all! I think my new school will have kids much closer to grade level than my student teaching school, so you are right, I can look at their test scores and give a few writing assessments right away to gage levels.