Reading Around the Room

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Smalls, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Smalls

Smalls Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

Hi,
    I am wondering how you all manage your reading around the room? I would like to try but I want to know how to manage it effectively. Does it interrupt the other students? What do the students do simply point to a word and say it? Are they on their own or with a buddy?
    Thanks for your help.

3. 1stgradekids

1stgradekids Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

Hello!
    I use reading around the room as a center. I sometimes have problems with getting the students to read the room instead of just playing with the fun pointers I made.
    However, I found giving them a task while they are doing it seems to help. I teach 1st grade so I keep the task simple. They have to write down words that they read around the room and turn them into me at the end of that center. Sometimes, I do a word hunt. I tell them to find all the words they start with an R or something like that. Just a way to keep them on task.
    For some reason they LOVE read around the room. They get so excited when it comes up in their center rotation.

We took it a step further last year and had Read the Hall. There was always new stuff put up in the hallways and they enjoyed reading things other teachers had put it up.

4. Smalls

Smalls Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

Great, thanks for the information. I too am teaching grade 1 in the fall and wasn't sure how to properly manage the reading around the room centre. Makes sense!!

5. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 29, 2006

I did this as a center at the end of kindergarten. I created a recording sheet and they used a clipboard, which they loved. I had them write down the words they read. The page was split into remember me words (sight words) and other words. They had to read and then determine which side of the page to write it. They loved this center and though I worried they would be naughty, they liked it so much they were actually very well behaved.