Reading Area

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissBanger, Jul 4, 2006.

1. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

I've been thinking how I am going to set up my reading area. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking to do something cute and comfy. I plan on making some pillows for my reading area but does anyone have any other suggestions?:thanks:

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 4, 2006

You can use video rockers, bean bag chairs, or just use carpet and pillows. My students really love the video rockers, but they are expensive. Lamps in the reading area my give it a nice touch. What grade are you teaching?

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2006

I like to hang a curtain on the window if your corner is by one. A rug is always a nice touch . I've hung lights on ceiling too.

5. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

Great ideas! I am teaching 3rd grade (it is my first year:)) I would love to put some rugs in my reading area but they are SO expensive! I am making a huge pillow case from some material I have and going to UPS to get it filled with peanuts. It'sthe most inexpensive way to make a bean bag (so I've heard) but we'll see how that goes.

6. Matt Fulmer

Matt Fulmer New Member

Jul 4, 2006

We want kids to have a print-rich environment so I would be sure I posted poems, nursery rhymes, sight words and big books in my reading station. Heck, I would do that all around the room. DO NOT MAKE IT DISTRACTING. What is the purpose of a reading center? TO READ! If you put too much fluff in it, they will not read. My students love for me to post their own writing in the reading center....and I allow them to buddy read poems and rhymes and use a pointer..they love that! Third grade is probably too old for this but you might could even place some stuffed animals in there for them to practice rereads from their book group. Last year, my 2nd graders loved to practice rereads with the animals.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2006

Welcome to AtoZ, Matt. We are always looking for more men ....... well, some of us are. LOL

I got an area rug at Big Lots for $15. They have huge floor pillows for $10.

8. Mrs P

Mrs P Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

I don't agree that 3rd grade children are too old for fluffy toys! I teach 8- 9 year olds in a school in Scotland. In my reading corner is a red couch complete with cushions and cuddly toys. The children can't wait to get on the couch to read and cuddle the toys while they read. (They even remove their shoes through choice when lying on the couch, this is when only two children are on the couch. Normally four can sit on it at one time.)
    Irene

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2006

The kids love the fluff!!! I think it makes some feel more secure. As long as they are comfy and feel secure, they will want to read. I am so excited to set up a reading area one day.

10. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

Oh good... then fluff it is! :) Thanks, everyone!

11. Matt Fulmer

Matt Fulmer New Member

Jul 4, 2006

One point I should have emphasized while ago is that kids no longer know nursery rhymes. I have read research articles this summer that state that kids really don't hear these anymore. I would definitely post these in my reading center and allow the students to familiarize themselves with these. :D

12. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 4, 2006

Reading Center

I agree with the others: pillows, bean bags, lights and posters. I would also make it a point for the children to be involved with the organization of the books that are in your reading corner. If they have some input on how the books are organized they will more likely use it, take ownership of it, and take care of it more. I found this to be true with my fifht grade students last year.
    I spent a week on teaching the different genres and then allowed them to organize the books. I created cards for the baskets. I am sure the cares won't all be the same this year, but many of them will. I hope this helps.

Where in SC are you teaching?

13. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 4, 2006

Just Curious! I haven't used pillows in the past-worried about head lice. What do you think? Is it a concern of yours? I have a bean bag and a camp chair. The camp chair actually went over better than the bean bag.

14. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

I had lots of pillows when I was student teaching in a 3rd grade class, and we never had a problem with lice. Then again, the kids mostly used them to sit on, or put under then while laying on their stomachs. Make sure you do spray them though, so you keep down the germ total!!!

15. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 5, 2006

I called around to some carpet stores and one company gave me 30 carpet samples...you know the pieces of carpet people use by their doors to wipe their feet on? Call around, you may get a donation. Tell them you are a beginning teacher and you're trying to make your classroom look more finished. Maybe you can do an introduction newsletter to the parents and include places that have donated things to you.

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2006

those remnants are also good to use for individual mats for each child to sit on. also, you may suggest each child bring in a favorite small stuffed animal of thier choice.

17. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

Just a quick warning. My first year, I spend all this money to make my reading corning comfy cozy. I bought those pillow's with the backs and arm rests. Anyway, I spend a pretty penny on all of it and at the end of year one, the pillows had greasy head stains on the tops of the pillows. YUCK!

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 5, 2006

My principal does not like us to have "non-school" furniture in our classroom. Ask first before you buy.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

I bring home the throw pillows and wash them. My two big floor pillows will be going to the dry cleaners soon.

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2006

I am probably using two camp chairs this year as a "couch", and I may also get a rug from Big Lots. I may also get a stool for the discussion leader of the Literature Circles. The district is not really into "non-school furniture", though they let me use my bookshelves. If I don't go overboard, then things will be fine.

Actually, I wish I can find a non-cloth (non-lice-desirable) couch, but leather costs too much. Is there a material like leather that's not leather?

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2006

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...801336-8929754?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000EX2DR6

I LOVE this couch. This is actually really cute, and kind of what I'd like... but it's a little pricey. I love the ottomans.

I like this chair, too: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...4?_encoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0007WBRUI

Here's a decent director's chair: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...4?_encoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000BWZGP6

Maybe Big Lots or Goodwill or something of the like won't be so bad...

22. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Jul 14, 2006

I've never been able to make the special chair thing - beanbags or camp chairs or whatever - work. The kids fight over them, or don't treat them well. I finally went to a cheap area rug (about $15 at target, I think ... Big Lots would probably be cheaper), and some inexpensive pillows (again, Big Lots) that, when they get too gross, I can just toss. I have a sun-shaped pinata that I hang from the ceiling, and I made a couple of "clouds" (big white shapes on butcher paper, stuffed with newspaper, hung from the ceiling) and then I usually decorate the bulletin board next to the library area in blue and go with some sort of beach or ocean theme. I've seen teachers put a little bedside-type lamp on a small table and that cozies it up quite a bit ... my space isn't very big so I haven't tried that yet.

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2006

http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/Book Nooks.htm

This page has a good idea for keeping things fair. I really like the system used a lot- because the kids go to the furniture or spots after they are chosen.

Also, the group that has literature circles at a certain time will be able to use the furniture- and nobody else will be able to argue over them. If I see anyone pout or act disrespectful over a piece of furniture, he or she will be at his or her desk to read.

24. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

I went to Walmart last night, and they just got in their new "mushroom chairs." (kid size) I bought one to go in my reading center. They remind me of the great big poposan chairs. (spelling is wrong I'm sure), but in college we had one in our dorm and called it, "The Womb." :)

25. Mrs. Porter

Mrs. Porter Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

Reading Chair

I got a director's chair (for my chair) when I read to the students in the reading area at World Market Plus. Then I took the back of it to a embroidery shop and had my name put on it along with a cute picture of a cat. It really personalized my reading area/my chair. I love it!!

26. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

I use the beanbags given to me by my school. Because I don't have much space for a reading spot, I allow the kids to find places around the room to read at. Right now, the reading space is about 3 feet with a small bookshelf on the left and on the right of the wall. My desk is there too. I figure I'd add a plant on my desk and maybe a lamp to make that space a bit more comfy looking. It's a weird set up this year :p

27. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

A crib mattress with a nice sheet and some pillows maybe.

28. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

I found a cute rug at Target recently for only $30. Not too bad for a rug until I can afford one of the "school" type ones. It is navy blue with bright green and yellow squares on it.

29. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2006

I have purchased two folding wooden chairs from Goodwill for $6 each as well as two dark blue seat cushions from Wal-Mart for $4 each. :D

30. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Aug 1, 2006

I love the old crib mattress idea spaceangel! I do want to say make sure you check your school. Some districts and schools do not allow furniture/pillows/beanbags, etc. because of fire codes. They can get cited. Be sure to check with your principal before you spend money on things you won't be able to use.

31. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I just bought "rainbow rugs" from Dollar General for $1 each. I plan to use them when my students "partner read" together. They can grab a rug and then find a quiet place in the classroom to read. This way they won't have to sit on the tile floor. My teaching partner said that her students also use them as a blanket when they are cold.

32. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 2, 2006

I used the inflatable furniture that is made of plastic. It lasted for the whole year with no holes or leaks. The kids loved them and no lice concerns as they are plastic.

33. meyerteach

meyerteach Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I bought two "video chairs" at Walmart (in Cincinnati) for $11.40 each. They sit flat on the floor (no legs), are bright red, cushioned and covered in a suede like material. They take up a whole lot less space than bean bags and they fold down flat for easy storage!

34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2006

I bought several packages of interlocking (like puzzles) foamy/cork pieces that are meant for the wall, I think, but I'm going to use on the floor. Wal Mart. Really cheap on clearance.

35. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2006

I may not be able to use the chairs because of our fire marshal, yet I still have two cushions the students can use. We'll see.

36. meyerteach

meyerteach Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Fire marshalls! They are all so different! You bring up a good point. The school I'm in now seems pretty good with most things, including hanging things from the ceiling which I've never been able to do before!

Carpet squares & foam interlocking pieces are both great suggestions!