Reading Area

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by sweetlatina23, Jul 3, 2010.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 3, 2010

I want to create a better area for reading. I have a rug, but I wanted to purchase bean bags so that they can be more comfortable. Does anyone have ideas on how they have set up their classroom. I love entering classrooms that have the "home" feelings, because it helps make the students feel welcomed. :)

3. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 5, 2010

Hey!

I'm working on this too. Have you ever read the choice literacy website? They have lots of classroom design ideas. It's a member website but I think there's some in the free area. Look for Ann Marie Corgill's article. I'm looking for lamps, plants, curtains and more books this summer. My room definitely needs softening.

4. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 5, 2010

Reading Area Suggestions

I call my reading area a Book Nook. It has 1 small & 2 jumbo vinyl bean bags, 2 donated jean fabric bean bags (also with the names Will and Emily embroidered in them :p), 2 crates turned upside-down with chair cushions on top as a "sofa." My book nook is in the corner and I have 2 bookshelves shaped like an L to enclose it EXCEPT for the fact that the L is open on the angle because I need to see inside it, of course! Like this:

S
    H
    E
    L
    F (open space) S H E L F

I hope when I press 'submit' this format doesn't go crazy on me.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 5, 2010

6. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 5, 2010

I have two library areas - one has a comfy "butterfly" chair, the other has footstools and other chairs. I have a large meeting area at the front of the class and have 36 desks grouped among these areas. Students "store" the 4 beanbags in the library area, but move them to the meeting area when reading. I've arranged the bookshelves and cubbies (3 cubbies w/36 slots each) so that there are lots of separated areas. Students sit where they feel comfortable.

7. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 6, 2010

Thanks for sharing. Some teachers go way out and I honestly wish I had the money to do it too, but I don't. I work at a private school and we don't get funding, our income is from tuition. The only funding they offer is for old computers that aren't being used anymore. I have gone locally to find bean bags at thrift stores, etc but nothing. I am going to go to a local store we have that had some dog pillows (you can't tell they are for dogs) and use those. They were under $5 so I can at least buy 4 of them, enoujgh for a group to use. I have an old couch at home that I could take. I bought it at a garage sale a few months ago for $15 but I have a feeling my principal won't allow it. Its a loveseat, we have it in our computer room...I might just ask. I think im afraid of my principal though haha.