Reading and writing

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by erinkate, Oct 2, 2002.

1. erinkate

erinkate Rookie

Oct 2, 2002

Just a quick question for all the teachers out there. In my graduate class last night we were talking about writing and how to asses it. One of the things we touched on was the actual mechanics of writing (holding the pencil/pen, placement of the paper and pressure on during writing. The need to evaluate students for these skills as well as referral and obtaining services from an Occupational therapist was brought up. What are your thoughts. Does your schools encourage that? :)

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 2, 2002

I am in a private school. I have referred several kids for OT evaluations. Parents don't seem to take it seriously. Maybe they don't realize what OT is. We try to explain .... they seem more likely to go for LD testing than OT.

4. erinkate

erinkate Rookie

Oct 3, 2002

I agree. I was an Occupational therapy student as an undergraduate. I didn't finish (its a long story:) ) I still find that I need to explain what OT is and what it involves, but individuals still give me that weird look when I am done, like they kind of understand, but don't really truly understand what it is all about and think that an evaluation is not appropriate for their child. The one thing i do know is that in order for a student to get therapy services through the schools the child must be 25% below the expected skill level to qualify. This is in PA. That in itself also discourages parents from getting evaluations too. OT evaluations can be so beneficial, even if the child does not qualify for services. The OT can give teachers and parents ideas and activities that they can implement in the classroom or things to look for when evaluating for possible learning/motor difficulties:)