Reading and Writing: Keeping Anecdotal Notes...

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by LLteach, Sep 16, 2007.

1. LLteach

LLteach Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Hi all,
    I am in the process of putting together a binder to help me keep track of conferences, instruction, anecdotal notes, etc. for guided reading and small group writing instruction. I am just wondering if any of you have some handy, dandy little organization tips or advice. I've tried a number of different methods (notebooks, indv. note pages for each student, sticky notes, note cards) and haven't found anything that I really like or stick with. So....your shared creativity would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Leah

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2007

There were a couple of other threads on this over the summer. Use the search feature for more info.

I use a record-keeping board available from www.reallygoodstuff.com . The regular price is too high for me, but I got it on sale. The cards stick to the board. I like it a lot.

Assessment Board - Blue

1 set.
    Keep A Daily Running Confidential Assessment Of Each Student’s Performance
    Here’s a great way to take notes on individual students, in any setting. With index cards for each student, and a top header card that shields notes from prying eyes, you’ll find that this assessment board will become an invaluable tool for report cards and parent-teacher conferences. Buy a set for each subject, and your report cards will practically write themselves!

One rigid PVC assessment board, 9" by 18½", with rounded edges

33 heavy stock index cards, lined both sides, with removable adhesive strip, 7½" by 5" each, includes header card for confidentiality

One pen on 17" lanyard, attaches to board

Color: Blue.

4. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Sep 16, 2007

I use a page of mailing labels for notes on my students. I print them off with each student's name on a label. When the label is filled, I peel it off and stick it on a sheet inside a binder. This also helps me to keep track of who I've conferenced with and who I haven't met with at all. Once the sheet is filled, I go on to a new one. There are also some blank labels at the bottom that I use if I fill one up too quickly or need to make a note about something else. I've found it to work great so far and a lot of teachers in my grade level are using my idea as well. Hope this helps.

5. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Sep 30, 2007

This year I set up note folders for writing,reading, and math...so far I have only been using the writing one, but its seems to be working. I just take a simple folder and 5 by 7 index cards. I tape them down on each side of the folder so that the one on top is overlapping, leaving only about a half inch that you can see on the one below it. I then wrote each kids name on that bottom half inch and it works like a flip card system. On the back of the folder I taped a class spread sheet, with a column for ach week. I try to meet with each kid in the one week period for conferencing and then I check them off on the spread sheet, just to keep track. Hope you can understand this, since it was a little hard to explain.

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 30, 2007

I have a binder for reading conferences. It has a place for the book title and the strategies they used, etc..

Generally, I walk around with post it notes and then just put them on a piece of notebook paper in their file at the end of the day.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 30, 2007

I have a binder for reading conferences also. I have a section for each child, and basically go through alphabetically to meet with everyone.

I have a page that has 4 sections for 4 conferences, double sided. I write the book, page, level if I know it, fluency notes and comprehension notes. I ask them to evaluate themselves as well. My conferences take less than 8 minutes, usually much less. I listen to them read, ask questions and we talk about the book.

For writing, I actually put my notes write in their journals. I write in pink or green fine tip marker, and will mark the date and in the margins some suggestions for them. They can then refer right to it, and I have the record also. They have lost sticky notes in the past, so I stopped using them. I usually only give one suggestion per writer's conference as it will be a lot for them to work on if I give more than that. I try to do them fairly often though. This is for ongoing journal stories, that don't have a due date.

For assigned projects, I keep a notebook for drafts and complete work. The only records I keep are the marks I put on their drafts, and then the final copy. I also keep the date they finished the draft, and the date of the conference, and the date they turned in the final. That gives me a good idea of how long the process takes each child.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 30, 2007

I teach 3-yr-olds, so my system isn't exactly what you need, but it works pretty well, so you might be able to adapt.

I have a hanging file box that I keep a hanging file for each child. In it goes their parents report, work (or copies of work) that I'm keeping fo theirp ortfolio, and teacher notes on that child. We have sticky notes in various places throughout the room, so when we're working on a particular concept and I want to make notes of how everyone is doing with that skill, I can write sticky notes and put them in their file. Or when a kid does something cute/unusual/interesting/etc (things they say, something they did, etc) I jot it down and put it in their portfolio. I have a sheet of construction paper (one color per trimester to make it easier for us!!) in their folder where I put their sticky notes. Then, when it comes time to work on parent reports, I can sit down with their file and have all my anecdotals right there.