Reading A-Z

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yellowdaisies, Jul 20, 2013.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 20, 2013

I purchased a subscription to Reading A-Z. Here's what I want to do with it:

1) Assess and level kids - my school doesn't use assessments that assign levels to the kids.

2) Put the books in the leveled portion of my classroom library for the kids to include in their book boxes.

3) Use the leveled books for guided reading groups.

4) Use the phonics books for small groups, reinforcing the week's phonics skill from Treasures.

Any other ideas? I am sitting here endlessly printing and assembling these books (thank goodness for my duplex laser printer!) and I'm hoping it's worth it...lol!! :D

Also, how do you organize these things?? I am making sets for small groups, but should I put the entire set in the classroom library or just one copy and keep the rest in my teacher supplies?

Thank you!!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 20, 2013

If you are going to use them for small groups, don't put them in your library until after you have taught them in small group. You don't want some of the kids to have already read the books, and others who haven't.

The ones you don't plan to use for small group can be put in the classroom library. If you have multiple copies, many children enjoy reading the same book as a friend.

I used to do a lot with Reading A-Z, but fortunately I'm now at a school that provides us with plenty of leveled book sets as a part of our language program. Before that, I really counted on those A - Z books. They are great.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 20, 2013

Have you looked at Raz-Kids too? I'm not too sure if they still give discounts if you bought a membership with another one of their programs.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 20, 2013

My school purchases a subscription to Reading A to Z as well as the Writing and Science for each teacher. I can run as many copies as I want but the collating is a pain. I love the books, especially the non -fiction as do my students. I use the readers for small group instruction and there are many stories that relate to holidays, famous people and events. I do not put them in my library but save the books to reuse the following year or for students who move levels. The teacher's guides are wonderful as are the sheets that go with each story. Many of the stories are projectible so if you wish to do whole class just bring it up oin the smart board if you have one. My school did use the books for assessments for about 3 years but now use F & P.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 20, 2013

:hijack:How is the Writing AtoZ?

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 20, 2013

Good thinking! I should have thought of that. Thank you!
    We have "leveled" readers as part of Treasures, but they are leveled "below level," "on level," and "above level"...so the levels aren't very specific. I found they didn't really serve my needs last year, especially with the lower kids. I will still use them for some small groups and for read to someone, though.

Yes. I would LOVE to purchase Raz kids, but they don't give a discount as far as I know. They do give a free trial. The problem is that my school purchases a computer program that I have to use, so I'm not sure I would ever have a chance to do Raz kids and not that other program. I do have 5 computers in my classroom and I'm using Daily 5 this year, so I'm trying to decide how it might work...

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 20, 2013

I "might" order Raz Kids and use it in Daily 5 in Read to Self.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 20, 2013

Wow, I would love to have this provided for me! The only thing I'm getting for free is the paper...from my husband's work! :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear positive things about it. I'm excited to use it this year!

I will have an interactive whiteboard for the first time this year - thanks for the great idea - I think I'll use it for the phonics stories and have the kids highlight words on the board - YAY! :D

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 20, 2013

Not a hijack - I'm curious as well. It's cheaper than the other add-ons.

11. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 20, 2013

The writing is quite comprehensive and offers many ideas and complete teaching units. My grade level uses the weekly grammar packet. Each student gets the packet on Monday with the new rule or rules. I teach second and begin the first 3 months with the first grade lessons. Then move onto second. It is somewhat time consuming to mark but I really feel it has made a big difference in my student's writing.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 20, 2013

janlee, how do your first grade teachers feel about it? I know my students coming in are going to be on the really low side (no sight words).

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 20, 2013

Proud 2 BeATeacher - First grade teachers do not use the weekly grammar packets. They use the writing site more for a reference for themselves. I need to do a lot of modeling with the kids before they get the hang of how to complete the grammar packets but by April they are great at completing them. I just logged on to the site and forgot how comprehensive it is. They have now incorporated CC into it. Many ideas as how to teach the conventions of writing, many of which I've used.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 20, 2013

Thanks for answering all of my questions janlee. :)

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2013

RAZ levels don't align with F &P....you'll need to look at each book...there's usually a box on the last page that tells the RAZ level, the DRA number and the F&P guided reading equivalent.

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 21, 2013

There is also a chart on the website that converts it as well.