Reading A-Z (writing, science, vocab)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Irissa, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 10, 2010

3. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 11, 2010

Lots of people have made queries about this site. Now's your chance to check it out.

4. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 12, 2010

Irissa, thank you so much! Am teaching Summer School, so I can try it out in class...thank you!!! :)

You can even take a trial of every program they offer...wow! I am trying the Science and the Writing right now. :)

Is there anyone who has subscription? Am just wondering what your feelings are about it? Do you use it alot and have you found it to be worthwhile? :)

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 12, 2010

I have a subscription, and kind of regret it, to tell you the truth... I haven't gotten the use out of it that I had hoped.

When I was a resource teacher, I used it a lot, but now that I'm in the classroom, I find I have less time to spend using it.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 12, 2010

Once I get my curriculum for grades 3 to 6 later next week, I'm going to start the trial and see what I could do with it. Seems cool, but I have a very particular way I like to teach science and I'm wondering how an online resource would support it.

7. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 12, 2010

Thanks for the info, dfleming. :) I had a subscription to EdHelper one year, and just never got to it either. It had good stuff, but it took so much time to search through it all, that I put it off all the time. :)

Bioangel, just in the quick look I took today, it did seem like it would be helpful when teaching multiple grades. In our Science series, 3-5 teach the same general concepts, just more in depth as the students advance, so I could see it working for you. :) The last two years, I have had 2-3 SpEd students who were reading at a first grade level and only did Social Studies and Science with the rest of the class. I really struggled trying to find materials to help me modify for them...I wish that I had known about A-Z then! :)

I only looked at a couple, but I was impressed that there were movie clips to go with the Science topics.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2010

Once you get past the 1 week free trial, what does it cost?

9. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 12, 2010

The science site has a lot of reading on the topics. High/mid/low. I tried it out a few years ago during a trial with my class and liked what they had. Science was strongly recommended to be taught through reading and this was great for that.

10. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

Preview is still going on. Alice.. here are the prices I found.

One Year License Single Classroom

Reading A-Z 84.95
    Science A-Z 59.95
    Vocabulary 29.95
    RAZ Kids 79.95
    Reading tutors 59.95
    Writing A-Z 29.95

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2010

Alice... I like there free week in May... you can download some stuff & what not off of each site.

Irissa thanks for the heads up!!!

12. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 2, 2010

The science subscription looks promising! :-D

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 2, 2010

I loved it the first year, I printed up everything that I thought I'd need, organized it all in binders, and pull things out from there. My district still pays for it even though we've told them we don't use it much at all any more.

14. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

Hoot Owl, thanks so much for your input. :) I am still debating because I will have to pay for it myself, since I didn't requisition it earlier. How great that your school pays for it!

I really am thinking about getting the Science, though, because in our state only 5th grade is tested in Science in the elementary...no pressure there!! :)

I think it would be really helpful for both Science and reading skills, and the fact that it would make it so easy to differentiate is a real plus. Wish I had had it this year when I had three students reading at a first grade level! They were in the Resource Room for all their math and language arts, but were mainstreamed for Science and Social Studies. It was such a challenge finding ways to meet their special needs. I can see the Science working so great for such a situation. Thanks again! :)

15. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 4, 2010

I have tried this before, but I prefer brainpopjr and brainpop.com

16. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 4, 2010

I think both of those are fantastic, too, but aren't they really spendy? I was thinking around $200 for a single class license...maybe I am way off on that, though? :)

17. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 5, 2010

I signed up for one subscription, the single family user, for about 7.95 each month...my coteacher and I split the cost. If you have a Smartboard, all the activities can be done with the Smartboard, or by copying the activities on the copy machine.