Reading A-Z/Raz Kids

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrStevens, Jul 18, 2017.

1. MrStevens

MrStevens New Member

Jul 18, 2017

Hello, I was looking at getting Reading A-Z and Raz Kids. I found some older posts in the forums from 2005, 2008, 2010, etc. and the posts from then were very positive. Is anyone still using it today? What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

3. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Jul 18, 2017

My school started using it last year. It was really great and the kids loved earning the points (stars, I think?) and building their characters.

It was an awesome way to incorporate more technology into the classroom and changing up my center rotations. We use i-station and the kids were getting burnt out on it, so they were very happy when we introduced Raz Kids.

Reading A-Z was a great tool for me and allowed me to easily find books based on our units. I just pulled a book up on the ipad and read it to the kids and showed them the pictures, just like a normal book. I even used some of the shorter/simpler books for shared reading and projected the stories onto the screen.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2017

I love Reading A-Z for finding resources to use with small groups or individual students. That said, it's unlikely I'd invest my own money in it. I've only used it when I had access to a membership purchased by my school.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 18, 2017

I bought a subscription to Reading A-Z when I taught 1st grade 3 years ago. I loved it and found it totally worth it. Our reading program came with book sets for guided reading, but I needed lower levels. It was perfect for that. I never used Raz Kids.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 19, 2017

My school provides subscriptions to Reading A-Z. I teach small groups all day for students in K-3 and I used it frequently, especially the decodable books and foundational skills books. There are full lessons available on there, but I never used those. I did sometimes use the comprehension assignments for my older students if I had a sub since they were pretty self-explanatory activities. Even though I liked the books, like Bella said I would be unlikely to spend my own money on a subscription. However, I'm very stubborn about not spending my own money for my classroom (I believe professionals shouldn't have to pay to do their jobs), so take that with a grain of salt. If I were someone that spent freely I'd probably consider this subscription worth it.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 19, 2017

My school also purchases us a subscription. We use this as part of our Daily Five. I love it! Some students do not do well on the computer but it offers quizzes after each book. Teaching first grade I do have to check in with them frequently and have to move their reading levels on the computer. But it is worth it!

8. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jul 19, 2017

As a parent, I will say my youngest keeps going on the raz kids account this summer without any prompting from me.

9. MrStevens

MrStevens New Member

Jul 21, 2017

Thank you very much for the responses, they were all very helpful. I am trying to learn as much as possible about these products and would like to conduct a paid phone survey. If anyone would be willing to speak on the phone for 10-20 minutes in exchange for a $25 Amazon gift card that you can use for classroom supplies please contact me at MrStevensK12 at gmail dot com. I'd be happy to provide a little more information. Preferably teachers who have used the product for 1+ years.

Thank you.