Readers workshop

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by lemonhead, Aug 7, 2008.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

How do I set up readers workshop? I still want to have some literacy centers during that time an would like to incorporate spelling.

Where can I find websites with mini lessons?

I've never done it before.

Lemon

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

Hey there Lemon,
    I do Reading Workshop along with Daily 5- well they really go hand in hand. There are a few great websites where you can find mini lessons but after a while you'll really really get the swing of it and you will start to develop your own teaching points before you know it!
    I utilize the Mosaic Listserv. There are great units of study on there and many of them are for grade one which is wonderful. Also- Mrs. Meacham has a bunch of info on workshop on her site and if you go to her Lesson Plans section, she has her mini lessons on them. Very helpful.
    I highly highly highly recommend Reading With Meaning. I use this as one of my primary resources when developing minis. It goes through the strategies and at the end of each chapter there are Key Things Kids Need to Know about the strategy and I use these to plan my minis. Awesommmme resource. I hope that helps a bit. I am try to think of what other sites I use as well and when I do, I will be back on this thread!! :)

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

Thank you SO much trayums. I am pming you in a minute.

5. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

I agree with Trayums on those resources. I also found that Jennifer Jones (Hello First Grade) had some really good minilesson ideas. I have googled reading workshop minilessons and tons pop up. We also use the series Making Meaning and I find some minilessons in that. My workshop format looks like this:
    9:15 minilesson
    9:30 respond to reading and/or independent reading (meet with rdg group)
    9:50 student go to first work station (meet with rdg group)
    10:10 students go to second work station (meet with rdg group)
    10:30 come together to share

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

Ah YES!!! Hello First Grade is fantastic. My school also has Making Meaning and I use that sometimes as well. Growing Readers is another great resource.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

Thanks so much

Lemon

8. teach4ever

teach4ever Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

Growing Readers

Read "Growing Readers" By Kathy Collins, who is based out of the Lucy Calkins Teachers College project. Her book breaks down Readers Workshop step by step, mini-lesson by mini-lesson throughout the whole year in 1st grade. It will be the best most in-depth reader's workshop you will find for 1st grade.

9. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

I give them a response to do and then they may read independently from book baskets. The students that meet with me during this time will do their response after rdg group.
    I have several work stations and they change every 10 days. They are puzzles, games, math, poetry, pocket chart, art, buddy reading, reading, listening, word work, ABC, and computers.
    I choose 3-4 students each day to share and keep track on my clipboard--but they don't know who will be sharing. They share either their response, what they did during work stations, or a strategy they used while reading.
    Hope this clears some things up! It is so hard to explain without seeing it in action. It totally makes sense when I do it, I hope it makes sense written!

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

Thank you so much everyone for your responses.

Love_reading

Thank you for explaining. I think I am making this harder than it needs to be. This is really helpful.

I was thinking of having them respond in their journals but there are some really cool graphic organizers I would like to use too. Do you think I could just let them glue down the graphic organizers in the journals?

Do you rotate the literacy centers in a special way or do they just need to have all of them done in 10 days?

Thanks again

Lemon

11. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

lemon--
    I do exactly that with their reading logs! Some days I might have a worksheet that goes along with the story, other days they write in their logs (I use comp. books). It is great to use a glue stick to glue the graphic organizers in at the beginning of the year and then as the year goes on and they are more familiar they will be able to draw the simple ones themselves.
    Here's how I organize and rotate work stations:
    I first have a work board set up in a pocket chart (I really need to get pics---can't get in until I get back from vacation). I assign 2-3 students as a "group" based on reading level so that it is heterogeneous. Each day I move the groups to the right where they will go to 2 new stations. I have 12 stations, but some of them the students will go to once a week, like word station, and some of them they will go to once out of 2 weeks, like math station. This is what allows me to stretch it out to 2 weeks (and that they only visit 2 stations a day vs. 4 like I used to do).
    This is what works for me. Some teachers do it differently, but once I observed it this way at another school and tried it a light bulb went off. I was always trying to make wonderful stations that took a lot of work on my part. I would have to go in on the weekend to have them ready for Monday....I hated it! If you want more information on different ways to do centers you might visit thesmartiezone.com. Donna Whyte is a teacher and national presenter. She has written books and songs. She does centers differently with "Must do" and "Choice" centers. I tried this at the beginning of the year and I didn't like it, but you might. She also has her favorite links to other sites that are helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions--I am happy to help! Also, I should be able to get into my room Aug. 18th and I will take pictures and post them so you can see my work board and how I organize my stations.

12. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

The daily 5 has made my reading workshop life sooo much easier. Rotating stations was diving me CRAZY! I have found this method to be really effective. Even though its the same thing everyday, the kids are not bored becuase they have the element of chioce involved. When I walk in the class in the morning I can overhear students saying what they will choose during reading workshop time. or saying "which daily five are you doing today? Do you want to read with me?" I t warms my heart.

13. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I also ditched centers for the Daily Five (actually I do the daily 3). Now I can use my time planning groups and lessons instead of centers (I was really ineffective at keeping centers current.). My mornings go like this:

8:50 - 9:00 Morning message - Whole Class (pre teaching phonics and reading lessons for the next week, sometimes reviewing content such as science)
    9:00 - 9:10 Poems/Songs/etc. - Whole Class
    9:10 - 9:30 Read to Self time - I meet with a reading group and conference with individuals
    9:30 - 9:40 Phonics lesson - Whole Class
    9:40 - 10:00 choice (include read more to self, read with a buddy, listen to a story on tape, or writing) - I meet with a reading group and conference with individuals.
    10:00-10:15 Reading Lesson (I try to get a mix throughout the week of decoding and comprehension).
    10:15 - 10:35 Choice (see above) - I meet with groups