Readers Workshop- What Other Kids Do?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by C2Teach, Jun 22, 2007.

1. C2Teach

C2Teach Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

I am in the process of getting the Debbie Diller book, but I was just curious from other real teachers out here what do you have the rest of your class do while you are working with your small reading group? How soon after the start of the year were you able to actually begin groups - did it take a lot of modelling time for you?

3. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 22, 2007

I'll be using the Daily 5--other kids will Read to Self, Read to Someone, Work on Writing, Work with Words and Listen to Reading.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 22, 2007

I read at Mandy Gregory's website it is so beneficial to solely have silent reading and journaling time, yet I also balance that with a non-fiction and computer center as well as a center I call "Reading Scouts", where the students go through different types of assignments in folders with partners to where they can complete "categories" of interest. It is your call!

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 23, 2007

Half of the time they are independent reading, the other half they work at a literacy station.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 23, 2007

Also- I forgot to mention how long it is into the year when groups begin- it is about 2 weeks-1 month because of all the re-enforcing the kids need. I have fourth grade students, so maybe a month for second is good. But in all honesty, it depends on whether they had groups prior to your class and their maturity level.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 23, 2007

I probably won't start until the end of September. Lots of testing the first two months of school! Once testing is over we'll start literacy stations and guided reading.