Readers workshop vs. curriculum reading

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by dunwool, Aug 16, 2009.

1. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

My school uses the Houghton Mifflin reading curriculum series. The books include spelling, phonics, and a plan for every day of the week using the class books and the level set of supplemental reading books. Looking over the books, there are stories that really seem uninteresting and don't really lend themselves to any real reading workshop mini-lessons. Also, the spelling is so basic, and content specific, that it doesn't seem very useful for the broad application of learning to read more fluently, but more expanding vocabulary.

My question is do you use the district reading program in addition to a readers workshop (with targeted mini-lessons, time for free reading, etc), incorporated into the workshop, or not at all? I am on the fence with using it as faithfully as the other teachers do since the students are at a much higher level than the curriculum lends itself to. I know the teacher in my position last year didn't use it at all. The administration is fairly relaxed and fine with whatever we want as long as students are progressing (which is nice!). If you could let me know what you use in your classroom that would be very helpful. Thanks!

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2009

I use my Reading Street anthology as the mentor text but I definitely do Readers Workshop. I just got so frustrated with all the components of Reading Street and I felt we weren't doijng it justice the way the program is set up so I changed it around to suit our needs.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2009

In the past two years (in 5th grade), I chose the best stories, plays, etc. from our Open Court books, as well as those that focused on skills my kids needed. I supplemented with novels, more non-fiction reading practice, and individual reading time.

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I do the same thing as Zoe. I did Reading Workshop everyday and used the HM textbook for our mentor texts, vocabulary, and grammar.

6. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

Wow! Thanks for all of the help! I think I will try to use the HM text to support vocabulary but still run my own reader's workshop more focused on specific skills that students need. I will have to look through the books and choose the best stories to read now! Thanks again!

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 16, 2009

We only use readers/writers workshop. Get the book called the first 30 days to get you started in both. It is especially good for people not sure how to set up their rooms and get started with mini-lessons. Lucy Calkins also has a boxed set on Writing Workshop that we use. Both of these books are excellent resources. :)

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2009

My administration doesn't have a clue what I teach, when I teach, or how I teach. As long as my students make yearly progress she leaves me alone. So, I use a combination of teaching strategies and texts. I think you would be the person to best determine what strategies work best for your students. If your administration is flexible, I would use the materials that you are mot comfortable with and can give you the "best bang for your buck".