Reader's Workshop in First Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Sarah Leigh Ann, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Oct 15, 2005

I am interested in starting reader's workshop in my first grade classroom during the second quarter. I am curious how you get it started and if you do this do you still have centers? I'm reading Reading with Meaning by Debbie Miller and I do not see that she has centers for her language arts block.
    I am just curious how my day would go and if I would need to rearrange my entire room to support this. Just curious.. thanks in advance for all your help and brilliant ideas!!!

3. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Oct 15, 2005

Okay, this is a new one for me. I have heard of writing workshop but not reader's workshop. It sounds very interesting. How does it work?

4. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Oct 16, 2005

I can tell you what Debbie Miller says and uses as her schedule but I think you would either need to see it in action or read more on it.
    1st you do a mini-lesson including several read alouds and usually focus on a reading strategy like making connections or questioning. You usually give the students a focus like making a connection to practice in the next session. This is 20 minutes.
    2nd the students go and have independent practice reading and practice the skill from the mini-lesson- you are conferencing with students and pulling small groups to work on strategies, word works, etc. This portion is 45-50 minutes. You do not meet with every small group everyday or every child. She keeps a small notebook on each child and grabs four to five notebooks to conference with those students on that day.
    3rd- Share time- the students you conference with would be encouraged to share and anyone else who has something they want to share about their reading come back with their book and information to share.

Her book is absolutely wonderful at explaining every part of it. I was mainly curious if anyone else was using it in their classroom and had more books or resources. It sounds so amazing to have kids exploring literature- really good literature!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2005

I do reading workshop - literacy centers do not work for me DURING reading workshop as I want everyone trying out the skill I taught in the mini lesson. I have my literacy centers once per week - I know some people do more often but I dont see the need to do more often as my kids are getting
    SO MUCH out of the reading and writing workshop time as well as a weekly spelling workshop and follow up word work two or three times per week. I also used balanced literacy strategies in reading across the curriculum so all skills are covered. My kids love the centrs though so having them once per week is a 'treat'.

Resources: The art of teaching reading by Lucy Calkins
    Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding by Stephanie Harvey
    Reading With Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades by Debbie Miller
    Growing Readers: Units Of Study In The Primary Classroom by Lucy Calkins
    Craft Lessons: Teaching Writing K-8 by Ralph Fletcher
    A Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Writer within You by Ralph Fletcher
    One to One : The Art of Conferring with Young Writers by Lucy Calkins

6. Mrs. V

Mrs. V Rookie

Oct 16, 2005

Revisiting the Reading Workshop

I started the reading workshop in my 1st grade class this year and love it. I use the book Revisiting the Reading Workshop by Barbara Orehovec and Marybeth Alley and it is an awesome resource. It helps you organize, manage and even has lists of topics and books to help teach the topic. It lays our a sample first 20 days of workshop and has great example lessons that you can use. This book has really been a life saver.

I planned on using centers during my block, but haven't put them to use yet. I was afraid that my student wouldn't be able to independently read for 20 mins as this age. But they have suprised me. They are great at sitting down and reading. I am still working to implement centers because I feel that they will be productive to the students at this stage in their reading development, but will slowly wing them off and back to only independently reading.This is what my schedule looks like to accomadate centers.
    10-15- mini lesson
    40 minutes- independent/center
    15 of independent reading-I confrence
    5 min transition- hopefully shorter
    15-minute- center time- I will work with a guided reading group.
    10 minute-share time

Obviously the timing is a little shorter now since we are not doing centers. Once the students are use to the centers we will implement them. We should hopefully be running centers by the end of this week.

Good Luck! I really do love the reading workshop. It has worked so well in my class, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.