Reader's Workshop Ideas Galore

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 18, 2009

This week, I tried to provide you with as much possible before school starts soon for most. I hope the information I have provided really helps someone along the line.

http://blogs.scholastic.com/classroom_solutions/2009/08/readers-workshop-101.html

I am wondering... can you contribute a thought in my comments at the weblog about something you do during reader's workshop that works for you? I'd love to gather lots of ideas there to really help others who are wondering about Reader's Workshop. Have a great day, everyone!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2009

I'm off to a workshop this morning, but can't wait to read this when I get home tonight!

4. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Aug 19, 2009

I loved your Scholastic blog entry this week. I especially like the pictures of your reading anchor charts that you posted. I can't wait to see more. I will definitely be using them this year! Thanks for sharing!

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 19, 2009

Thank you! Please comment, too, at Scholastic because I really want people to find the post. :) I want to help teachers who are looking for reader's workshop ideas. Enjoy your evening- Open House is tomorrow!

6. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

independent reading vs. silent reading time

Hi Ms. Jasztal,
    Just read your blog and got excited about your ideas and the ideas to come. I know you said, "In a later post you'll talk more about IRT..." BUT can I take a quick guess? Is it when they read silently and use post-its as they jot down notes/implement reading strategies (make connections, clarify vocab, etc.)? Or am I way off here?

Nervous that school starts on Tuesday the 25th and I want my Independent Reading Time to be most effective! ;)

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 22, 2009

Yes! You are absolutely correct about the IRT! :)

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

Great stuff, Ms. Jasztal! I tried twice to post comments on the blog and neither has shown up, so I thought I'd acknowledge it here. I'm going to try to incorporate Reader's Workshop with my grade 7/8s this coming year. i say "try" because this will be very new for this grade level in our school and I'm not sure about the amount of support I'll receive from my grade partners and administration who tend to be very traditional in their approach. (I'm very good, though, at closing my door and just doing it anyway).

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

Ms C- When you post a response , there is a security box which pops up and you have to type the letter/numbers you see...is that box appearing when you post?

MsJaztal- Great blog- so full of SO many ideas- I'm going to re-visit a few times to click on your links, remind myself of some good ideas and strategies posted there!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

Thanks, czacza, yes it did. I posted a reply to Ms. Jasztal's first post and to one of the other blogs, and they both showed up. This time, nothing--maybe she's trying to tell me something? :whistle:

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 24, 2009

Victoria-I was curious, do you Twitter or something when you update your blog? Or what is the best way to know when you update?