Readers Workshop- How do you do the sharing part at the end of workshop time?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2007

Can you describe how the sharing part of your readers workshop works?

3. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

I typically give them a "job" to do while independently reading, like find an example of cause & effect/forshadowing/etc. They jot down their notes on a post it. I have the kids "buzz" for a little bit about what was found. After that, we as a whole group share some thoughts (at this point I often have to call on them b/c they still sit like slugs!). We then recap the skill working on that day. Done. HTH

4. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 9, 2007

We all come down to the floor for our share time.
    For example, on Friday we did Part 2 of Day 1 (I think!!) in Fountas and Pinnell Guiding Readers and Writers "Reading is Thinking" we discussed the minilesson objective.Then made a chart What does this look like, what are we thinking about as we read, etc. I told students that during their reading time, they should be thinking about some things they had to do as readers.

After independent reading time, students came to the floor. We then added to our chart, and I went around and asked each student to tell me one thing they did as a reader, I got examples like; saw pictures in my head, reread when I didn't understand something, made connections, try to figure out words I didn't know, etc... Each student had to share one example. I then gave a participation grade for readers workshop.

5. Researcher

Researcher Rookie

Dec 9, 2007

I typically have them read on Fridays for about 30 min. Then we have a "reading circle" where we either sit in a circle on the ground or sit on top of our desks and discuss one story element from our book, or another reading technique.
    For example, one Fri I may ask them to discuss their main character and his/her personality. On another, I may have them describe the setting. On another Fri, I may have them tell us the main problem, or any other minor problem. On another Fri, I may ask them to make a prediction based on the part they're on now, on another Fri, I may have them "walk in the main character's shoes" and change/make a new decision. Or make a connection to their life, etc.
    I find it's more interesting when you don't tell them what the topic is until after they've read. Keeps them on their toes. :)

6. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Dec 30, 2007

I'm bad. We typically run out of time and have to scoot to specials without getting that share time. Our schedule STINKS this year.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 9, 2008

They come to the carpet after independent reading. In order to share they have to bring their reading response journal and their book. They tell the book they read and tell about their response. It could be their T-T, T-S, or T-W connections. We finished our unit on Mental Images so I'm really trying to get them to draw and discuss their Mental Images. But I only have a few doing that so far. I have a class list and I keep track of who shares by their name by writing T-T, T-S, T-W, Q (question), NL (new learning), or MI (mental image). That way I can see who hasn't shared in a while and encourage them.