Reader's Cafe Ideas (Not Sister's Book)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Youngteacher226, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2011

Hello everyone!
    I have been planning all year to hold a Reader's Cafe in my room in which my students invite parents, teachers, school staff and administrators into the classroom to read a book to them from our Reader's Cafe "menu". I read about this previously and always thought it was a neat idea! I have already bought aprons etc. to go along with the theme of a cafe and I have an idea of what books I want to include which will be familiar read alouds that the students know. I just feel like since I've never actually hosted a Reader's Cafe....maybe you all might have some ideas or suggestions for us to make it a success!

All ideas are welcome!
    Thank you for the help!

I plan to hold the Reader's Cafe day in about two weeks!

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2011

This is such a great idea! I would suggest using books that maybe the students have added to their 'Books I've Read List' this year or even mentor pictures books that you have read together as a class. Are you going to go all out with the theme? If you are, I would group the desks, cover them with table clothes, and have the students serve the parents hot chocolate and cookies or something like that. You could always create a stage for the students to stand on- even if it's just a back drop that they can stand in front of. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2011

A few questions: Who is doing the reading (parents or students)? Will the reader read to the whole group or a small group?
    Do you want the students at desks or on the floor?