Readers' and Writers' Workshop with Spe Ed and ELLs ?????

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by rrhelpplease, Sep 18, 2010.

1. rrhelpplease

rrhelpplease Rookie

Sep 18, 2010

It is my first year teaching in a K self contained classroom. I have 9 kids who all speak Spanish with little or no English. I expected to teacher both readers' and writers' workshop but I feel my kids do not even understand my read alouds. The first week was a nightmare I want to succeeded but I kinda feel like I am talking and not one of my kids are understanding. I did the heart idea to teach them to write about things from their heart and they totally did not get it. When I got to drawing with description I found that some of my class could not even draw. Please help... :eek:

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 18, 2010

I think I would probably drop these until later in the year. I currently have two nonspeakers and I know they don't have any idea what's going on. However, I would still read aloud to them. The more exposure to the language, the better!

4. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

Is there any way you can read aloud in English and Spanish? Like a Spanish version of the book, or have it translated. Learn some Spanish phrases to help them relate what you are saying to their home language, and by all means let them work together speaking Spanish. Just remember it is like being in a foreign world hearing little or no Spanish at school. Also, demonstrate everything. For example when you write on the board, their paper, etc. say write and point to pen and paper. They will learn this is write. Incidentally escribe (ess cree bay) is the word for write. As they pick up the language readers/ writers workshop will become possible. Good luck and hang in there.