Reader Response Journals

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ellensmom, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Apr 5, 2012

I am reading Bridge to Terabithia with my 4th grade class. After every chapter, they have reader response questions to reflect on. We answer comprehension questions together, and they are graded on vocabulary, quizzes, and other word study activities. I am wanting to grade them on their reading response journals, but I'm not sure how. Should I grade them on completion only, or give points for detailed answers (realizing that some students just aren't at the level to give insightful answers)? I've told them they need to give specific examples from the book whenever possible. How do others grade journals and reader responses?
    Thanks

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2012

Do you have a state test rubric that you can use?

What expectations did you give them for the journals? I would grade based on these.

4. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Apr 5, 2012

We are a private school so we don't use the same standardized tests. I basically told them to use complete sentences and the more detail and specifics they give the better. So, other than the complete sentences, I guess I was pretty vague. (Note to self- be more specific in expectations next year ;)

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2012

So grade based on using complete sentences and including detail to describe what they are writing about. You can always add more for their next reading response assignment.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2012

I have a routine activity that equates to a response journal which focuses on a different reading strategy each time...visualizing, questioning, making inferences, etc. In order to score on their ability to use those strategies, I only count their actual visualizations, questions, inferences, and so forth. If it's sloppy, they need to rewrite it before I score it. If it's full of careless errors, they need to correct it before I can score it. This ensures the grade reflects their understanding and application of any given strategy, which is what I want. :)