Read "Love & Logic": our's thoughts?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Mrs_Goatess, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 4, 2006

Read "Love & Logic": your thoughts?

I'm reading "Teaching with Love & Logic" right now.

What are your thoughts about it? How have you used it? Have you NOT used it?

(I'd appreciate a secondary educator's opinion on this, as that is my personal focus.)

:love: :thanks:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  3. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

i haven't read the book but I have been trained in it and plan on taking another class in it this fall. My district is a big advocate of it! It really worked for me--I teach 9-12 and swear by it. It also helps me keep my patience. I let students chose between detention or writing an apology letter to the classes they disrupted (he was dribbling a basketball down the hall all the way to my class). And he CHOSE the detention. I think it works! Good luck & let me know how it goes.

4. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 17, 2006

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 29, 2006

I first began using love and logic practices in my home with my very strong willed 2 year old. She is now a teenager and makes most of her own choices, and does well. I transferred the practices to my first grade class when I started, because I was afraid of the anger this one particular little guy could arouse in me!!! I needed a system where I had no buttons out there for him to push! Love and Logic takes away most of those buttons.

The most wonderful thing about Love and Logic is that all the responsibility is on the person making the choices, not on YOU, the adult. Hey, I have enough trouble keeping my own life in order without being responsible for everyone else's behavior and consequences - that is just too exhausting. Love and Logic lets you focus on the person and all the good things about the person. You don't have to get angry or emotional. You just keep calmly tossing the ball back into their court. "What are you going to do about that?" "How do you think that will work for you?" "What do you think could happen if you make that choice?" "What are some other choices you could make?" They catch on so fast - sometimes my daughter would have her own "love and logic" conversation WITH HERSELF and figure out her own consequences just by seeing the look on my face! Hysterical!

I think it is great for kids of all ages. Rarely is there a kid who won't respond. It is awesome. I would recommend you also read the Parenting with Love and Logic because it seems to be more detailed and have more examples than the Teaching one. Pair them up.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 29, 2006

My parents used this with me and my brother... my friends were always ASTONISHED when I told them I didnt' have a curfew per sea... my parents would ask me "what time should I start worrying about you?" instead of just setting a time for me. They've told me since that it was almost always earlier than they would have set for me... but I couldn't complain since I set it! haha.

7. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

I'm starting my second school year using Love and Logic with my 1st and 2nd graders and will never go back to my old ways! Love and Logic is great! I'm calmer, less stressed, and I enjoy teaching more than ever. The classroom atmosphere is positive, and students and I show respect and compassion for each other. Don't get me wrong; it was really hard when I first started using Love and Logic. I had to rethink my ways of communicating with students. But it's definitely worth it!

Good luck!

~ Jaicie :)

8. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Sep 12, 2006

At a high school, a student overheard me telling another student that "I respect you too much to argue." She later took me aside to tell me that she liked that response so much that she plans on using it with others in her life (parents, boyfriend, etc.) Interesting, huh?

P.S. Sorry about the horrid typos in the thread title. It was meant to be "Read "Love & Logic": What's your thoughts?", but it won't let me edit the thread title. :( Thanks for the comments!