read at home

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ilovefirst, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

Hi all!

I am thinking about doing some sort of read at home program this year. For the past 2 years I have been a part of the pizza hut book-it program. It doesn't run all year though and seems kind of detached from the classroom. So, I'm wondering how many of you do a read at home and how you manage it.

:thanks:

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2009

I have kids do a reading response journal 2 days a week.

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

We have a program were the students read 20 minutes every day and turn in a reading log once a week to clock the hours. It's school wide so it's tracked down in the media center. Each month if they read their 100 minutes a week, they get a prize and then at the end of the year if they turned in their reading log they get a certificate, book, and recognition during the end of the year awards.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2009

This year, my students will be reading 30 minutes a night. The reading log must be turned in every Friday, signed by a parent, with a little interactive portion on it. I'll have a genre checklist, a little section where parents/students reflect on the child's reading goals, and a summary/skills section for what the kids read. I give the Pizza Hut certificates, too, as incentives when the kids go above and beyond requirements.