Read any good books?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Maryhf, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2011

I've gotten the best book ideas here. Has anyone read any good books lately?

3. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 25, 2011

I just read Run by Ann Patchett, and it was one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I have had in a long time. It was actually required reading for the freshman at the university where I teach last year. I found a free copy lying around in the library after orientation, and I finally got around to reading it.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 25, 2011

Bossypants by Tina Fey.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 25, 2011

I'm reading Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (which is now a mini-series on HBO) and it's WONDERFUL!

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 25, 2011

My oldest son has recently gotten into the classics, so I've read a number of "oldies", including Victor Hugo's Les Miserables and part of Leo Tolstoy's "War and Peace". I actually really want to finish the latter, but I can't seem to focus on anything heavy recently.

I just started "The Once and Future King" by E.B. White at the urging of teachergroupie.

7. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Apr 25, 2011

I just finished "Two Kisses for Maddy" by Matt Logelin. It is a memoir and very moving, but an awesome look at what he went through. (Be sure you have tissues handy when you read this).

8. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 25, 2011

I'm currently reading Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. It is good. It is the second book in a trilogy that starts with Name of the Wind

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 25, 2011

I just finished Philippa Gregory's The White Queen and am just about to start The Red Queen. If you like historical fiction then they will be real page turners for you.

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2011

I am sooooo glad that the new one is finally coming out soon.
    I think we've been waiting... maybe 5 years since the last one came out? And my husband would ask me AT LEAST once a week, "could you check online and see if there is a release date yet?" :lol:

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 25, 2011

Yes I actually have! I was so proud of myself I started my summer reading list early and read 2 books over the weekend. That's very unusual for me-I don't really like to read.

One was Crow Lake by Lawson the other is called Love Wins-it's written by a pastor who talks about among other things, what if Hell doesn't really exist (it's profiled on the cover of Time this week)-I found some of his ideas very thought-provoking.

I probably shouldn't have read this thread because now I think I'll have to order some more books. :whistle:

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2011

I am reading Run Your Butt Off, by Sarah Lorge Butler

also I just picked up Bethany Frankel's A Place of Yes

and Chelsea Handler's books are always hysterical...just pre-ordered it on Amazon, comes out in May.

13. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Apr 25, 2011

I can't wait to read this; I've been reading Matt's blog since Maddy was born.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 25, 2011

I just finished The Solace of Leaving Early by Haven Kimmel. She also wrote A Girl Named Zippy and I was looking for that one but the library didn't have it. She is a great writer if you like things kind of odd and characters kind of nutty. I also read her Something Rising, Light and Swift.

Right now I'm reading Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella. It's hysterical, of course.

15. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Apr 26, 2011

I have been reading his blog for quite some time as well and that is what made me want to read his book. It was a very emotional read, but very well done. I finished it in just over a day, but I quickly found out it was one that had to be read at home (not in the car or waiting room waiting for someone).

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2011

I am currently reading The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I am really enjoying it!

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2011

"The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration" by Isabel Wilkerson

This is a powerful book about the migration of millions of blacks from the South to the North and West..... in search of a better life...... I have the Kindle edition .....

Also, I have a renewed interest in the JFK assassination...(I have countless books on this tragic event) ..... I recently finished:

"The Kennedy Detail: JFK's Secret Service Agents Break Their Silence" by Gerald Blaine, Lisa McCubbin and Clint Hill. This is a fascinating read.

Currently I'm reading:

"LBJ: The Mastermind of JFK's Assassination" - by Phillip F Nelson

Enjoy......... Major......:)

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 26, 2011

Just finished Save Me by Lisa Scottoline

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2011

Thanks for doing this thread...
    I'm looking forward to catching up on a couple books.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 27, 2011

I can't wait to read this. I love this author!

21. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Apr 27, 2011

I'm reading Love Wins now on my nook... he writes things in ways I never thought of before!

22. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 27, 2011

Lisa Gardner is now my favorite author. You don't have to read her books in order, but it helps to really get to know her characters!!!!! Check her out!!!!!

23. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 27, 2011

Not sure how I feel about this book, but the first few chapters really made you think.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 28, 2011

I just finished "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos someone or other. I know that isn't much help, but the book was pretty good.