read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Engteach13, Apr 28, 2007.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 3, 2007

Has anyone read the nonfiction book Princess? It was written by a Saudi princess about real life in Saudi Arabia. The manuscript was smuggled out of the country! It is not my usual type of book - way to real! - but it was fascinating!

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 4, 2007

Not that book, but I did read a book called The Bookseller of Kabul. It is a non-fiction narative (i guess) of a middle class family living in Afganistan soon after we arrived in 2001-02. It was fascinating to read about the different customs, how women are treated, the family social structure and such.

3. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 7, 2007

I love the Harry Potter books too! I can't wait for #7. I'm kind of sad it's going to be the last one!

As for more "grown-up" books, have you ever read anything by Nicholas Sparks? He writes love stories, but they're not you're usual trashy romance novel. They're really good. The Notebook is his best book, in my opinion. The movie didn't do it justice.

4. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

May 8, 2007

Salem Falls by Jodi Piccoult is another good one. I like her style of writing as she breaks up her chapters into smaller sections, so if you have to leave it for a while there is a spot to take a break.

5. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

May 8, 2007

I love Jodi Picoult also!! I just finished Nineteen Minutes. My favorite by her is still probably My Sister's Keeper. Have you tried Midwives or anything by that author? His name is Chris B (I definitely cannot spell his last name). He just came out with a new one. And I'm so glad someone mentioned The Red Tent! One of my all time favorites. If you are looking for romance novels, I love Julie Garwood. A lot of her books are set in old time Scotland. I love that historical romance feel.

6. msjustice

msjustice Rookie

May 8, 2007

I am a fluffu chic lit kinda person. I loved nanny diaries, i love the shopaholic series as well as her other books, and an author u must read is Adriana Trigiani. She wrote a series of 3 books plus has 2 other books out as well. All are fab!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 8, 2007

I just finished a hysterical/sad new book by Marian Keyes - Anybody Out There? I highly recommend it.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 8, 2007

I am currently reading Zorro by Isabella A. It's a fictional account of his youth and young adult life. It's kept my attention rather well. I picked it up because it was part of a 3 for 1 deal. I have Cold Mountain and Cold Treachery waiting in the wings. Then I also want to reread the Crosswick Journals over the summer, but I don't know if I'll get to it all what with the new HP book being released in July.

9. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

May 8, 2007

I just finished the Adriana Trigiani series and loved it! Did you know she wrote some of the episodes of the old Bill Cosby show?

10. msjustice

msjustice Rookie

May 9, 2007

I did know that. If you have a book club visit her website. She has a FREE dvd she made for book club discussions it's very good. I love her!! They are making Big stone gap in to a movie. Can't wait to check it out!

11. bernie

bernie Rookie

May 9, 2007

I too am rereading the Harry Potter books. I couldn't wait until summer. I'm also watching the movies again. I'm on the Chamber of Secrets, and I'm also reading a book of predictions about the Deathly Hallows put out by MuggleNet.

I recommend Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman. It's a nonfiction book, and might seem a dry topic, but I found it interesting and insightful. This pessimist thinks everyone should read it.

12. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

May 9, 2007

I didn't know they were making a movie. I imagine it should be good in the same way the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" was.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 10, 2007

14. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

May 11, 2007

OK!! Summer reading, here I come! I'm also re-reading the HP series. I finished Sorcerer's Stone a couple of weeks ago. I started reading Chamber of Secrets, then couldn't remember where I left it. Since then, I picked up Order of the Phoenix. I'm going to find CoS again to finish it. Then, I'm off to Prisoner of Azkaban. I just love HP! For those of you who are so addicted to HP you can't be quiet about it, here's a link to a message board for you:

http://www.dumbledores-army.net

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 11, 2007

I never could get into Harry Potter, but I understand the hold it has on other readers. I'm just not a fantasy person. (I'm probably too boring...)

I forgot how much I like Sue Miller's writing. I just started one of hers called Lost in the Forest. She has a way with relationships and emotions that is very real.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 12, 2007

I just started reading The Lovely Bones. So far it's pretty good.

17. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

May 12, 2007

Thank you for saying that about the Harry Potter books. I was embarassed to admit the same as I have yet to meet a person who doesn't love all the books! I have never been into wizardry or science fiction either for that matter.

I love Sue Miller's books too. I thought I had read them all. Lost in the Forest does not sound familiar. I'll have to add it to my summer list. Thanks!

18. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 12, 2007

I just finished Youth in Revolt by C. D. Payne. I don't think I have ever laughed more--the other graduate students actually requested I not read it in their presence, as all my laughter made them nervous. It is definitely a "young" novel though, with humor that might be considered adolescent.

Just before that, I read Nursery Crimes by Ayelet Waldman (okay for a serial mystery) and Dibs In Search of Self by Virginia Axline (interesting but somewhat slow, non-fiction account of play therapy in the 1950s). I went book shopping today and picked up some Francine Prose and a clearance book by Barbara Ehrenreich.

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 12, 2007

I was looking at Dibs in Search of Self... eventually I will get around to reading it:rolleyes:

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 14, 2007

I just read 32 3rd Grades and a Class Bunny --- or something like that. Teacher next door just stoled it off my desk. LOVED IT>>>> It was so true.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 14, 2007

I'm a little late with response here. I read up to book six. Now I'm taking a break. Right now I am reading an adult book. It is The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc by Loraine Despres. I love it!

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 14, 2007

NEW BOOK! She has a new book. How come no one told me until now!
    I have to go find that next time I'm in Southern Maine. Of course I just spent 175 at the scholastic book fair.

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 14, 2007

I am reading Freedom Writers. A friend recommended it. It's really heartbreaking in places, but the fact that the teacher was so inspiring helps.

24. kburen

kburen Cohort

May 15, 2007

Jennifer Weiner is awesome! I've read 3 of the 4 that kind of go together. I actually read them backwards but they're still awesome! Good In Bed (the only one I haven't read yet, but is in my pile to read), In Her Shoes (a movie too, the movie is OK but book is MUCH better), Little Earthquakes, and Goodnight Nobody. She's got another one called The Guy Not Taken but I haven't read it...Can't bring myself to buy hardbacks unless their at a used bookstore, goodwill, or yard sale!

25. maggiedoodle

maggiedoodle Rookie

May 15, 2007

I love Jennifer Weiner too...and I completely agree about hardcovers. However, I think her new book is a collection of short stories, which I never find nearly as fulfilling as a novel.
    Does anyone read Marian Keyes? I love her dry humor, but it's sort of pure fluff. She's written Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, Last Chance Saloon, and a Anyone Out There?...among others. I highly recommend them to chick lit fans!

26. maggiedoodle

maggiedoodle Rookie

May 15, 2007

oops...i just saw that you had mentioned her too, upsadaisy! Didn't mean to ignore you!!!

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 15, 2007

LOL, no problem. Everyone who wants a laugh (and a tear or two) should read Marian Keyes. The Irish slant on things is hysterical, too.

28. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

May 15, 2007

Upsadaisy, there are quite a few people who can't get into fantasy, and my mom is one of them. Actually, HP is the first fantasy series I ever read.

On other books, the last Left Behind book is either out or soon to be out. It's called Kingdom Come. I saw a poster at Hastings. I can't wait to read this book. I just couldn't put down any books in this series!

EDIT: I found the book at Hastings last night, and it was used for HALF PRICE! I only paid $13 plus tax for the hardcover (well, I had a gift card with a few dollars left, and I ended up paying $1.17). I can't wait to dive in!!

29. forkids

forkids Cohort

May 19, 2007

I'm a Harry Potter fan too.

I just read a book by Lois Battle, The Florabama Ladies Auxillary and Sewing Circle. I enjoyed it - it was good light reading. I'm wondering if her other books are good also. Anyone read any of them?