Read Alouds

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Bumble, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 22, 2009

I'm putting together/reading some of the read alouds that I selected for the year. I was thinking about reading the book for about 10 minutes after lunch/recess to calm my kids. Is this too short or too long? I was thinking about incorporating note taking skills to keep them actively engaged on top of asking probing questions. Is it feasible to teach note taking skills with read alouds?

Thanks!

3. Mrs. Porter

Mrs. Porter Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

I usually do 10-20 depending on the length of the chapter. I do it right after lunch recess too, then right into DEAR time. It does calm them down. What read alouds are you going to do this year?

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 23, 2009

I'm planning on using these books for read alouds:

-"Fourth Grade Rats" by Jerry Spinelli
    -"Crash" by Jerry Spinelli
    -"Schooled" by Gordon Korman
    -"Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson

I have a feeling I'm not going to have access to many class sets of books, so I may not be able to have many shared reading activities. Jerry Spinelli's books are really silly and the kids really enjoyed them when I student taught in 5th grade. I'm going to start with "Fourth Grade Rats" because it is rather short.

5. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 23, 2009

I also read to my class right after lunch, for about 10 minutes. During that time they are allowed to go 3 at a time to the bathroom and get drinks. It works really well.

I would discourage note taking on a read-aloud. Most to all of my students enjoyed this time as a few minutes to relax after recess and listen to a good story. I think note-taking would make them resent the read-aloud, rather than look forward to it. I question during and after, and my students were always able to answer my questions (even more so than during other lessons during the day- go figure!)

I know you're a grade older than me, but my kids loved, loved, loved City of Ember and the Wayside School Trilogy, which I thought would be a little over their heads (and some parts were, which is why they might be perfect for 4th)

Happy Reading!

6. kinderaus

kinderaus Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

I have started with Tales of A Fourth Grade Nothing and now we are on to Superfudge- this series is great for 4th graders.

7. meeko32198

meeko32198 Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

How funny...I also read to my 4th graders right after lunch. We do 10 minutes every day and it is their time to listen. I also have an ELL group that comes back from their language block in the morning so it is good that they can hear the fluency modeled.

Right now I'm on chapter 7 of Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. Next I am either going to read Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, or The Lemony Snicket 1st book.

8. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

I just finished my first read aloud for the year. We read Shiloh. My kids are begging me to go to the library and get the next book in the series...if only I could find the time, but I told them I'll get it as soon as I can.

Last year, I read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books to my class for fun and they LOVED them.

Hatchet is also another good one that my friend reads every year, and Charlotte's Web too.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 2, 2009

I always read for 20-30 minutes after lunch. I don't usually have the kids take notes or anything because I want to emphasize the enjoyment of the book, not the thought of assignments.

I have sets of chapter questions for Frindle, Shiloh, and Because of Winn Dixie if anyone wants them. They were from literature circles. PM me with your email address if interested.

10. comick1

comick1 New Member

Sep 8, 2009

I'd love to get those chapter questions from you. I'm totally new here. How DO I send a private message to forumites?

11. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 8, 2009

My 4th graders enjoyed our reading time after lunch. This 1/2 hr gave them some time to wind down and was meant to be a relaxing, fun experience. Because there were 2 4th grade teachers we took turns reading a chapter book with both classes. (There were 30 all together.) This gave us some extra prep time which was great.

12. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

I love to read after lunch. It's a great time to read books above their reading level.
    I let them draw while I'm reading. I'm not sure I understand what they would take notes on. If you are teaching Reading Power than they could write down their connections but that may not be everyday.

13. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Sep 10, 2009

Read aloud is one of my favorite times of the day. I usually read several books in The Boy Start the War series by Phyllis Renolds Naylor, How to be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days, Punished!, and From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler. The last two years I have read The Kid Who Ran for President and the Kid Who Became President because we were talking about the campaign and election. The kids love them, but I am not sure that I will do them this year so I might be shopping for two more.