Read Alouds

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MissFroggy, Aug 7, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

I am wondering what kind of read alouds you do in class??? Not the kind where you read it to introduce a concept in writing or reading, but where you just read to them for pleasure.

I am thinking of the following, which were the easier books on my book shelves in 3rd/4th.

The Stories Julian Tells for the beginning of the year, and the Julian's Glorious Summer at the end?? Will first graders like this?

Catwings (lots of kids loved these books, and I think they'll like the fact that it's about cats and it's fantasy.) Plus, I have siblings in my class, and the kids who I had as 3rd and 4th graders last year LOVED the Warriors series, so these kids know their older brothers and sisters love these cat books... maybe they would connect with Catwings??

Ramona The Brave, which is one of my favorite books from being a kid!

I'm not sure all of the kids heard chapter books last year! They might have, but I really don't know. I know at least two of the classes did because I talk to the teachers pretty regularly, but am not sure about the other one, which is where the kids are mostly coming from.

Other than that, I'm not sure!!

3. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

I teach 2nd and my kids love the Henry & Mudge chapter books. There are 20+ books by Cynthia Rylant. These are read for pleasure. Many of the books in this collection are also AR books many of the students will test on during the year. I think they run in the 2.0-2.9 range but I could be mistaken. I am out of town and can't check. Anyway, cute, interesting, sometimes sweet, sometimes silly, simple chapter books. I love them!

4. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

P.S. I taught 1st for 10 years and read them to my kids then as well.

5. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 7, 2008

For my read alouds I primarily use picture books. The themes are so varied and can relate to anything. Some of my favorite are:
    No David by David Shannon
    David Goes to School By David Shannon
    David Gets in Trouble by David Shannon
    Froggy books by Johnathan London (sp?)
    anything by Kevin Henkes
    anything by Laura Numeroff

there are tons more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head

6. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

my second graders liked Gooney bird greene last year, and the boys loved The mouse and the motorcycle (just have to discuss lots of vocab in that book)