Read Alouds

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Missy, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 2, 2019

i am lucky to be going back to second grade (which I taught for one year) after spending most of my years in fourth grade.

What are some of your favorite chapter book read alouds?

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jul 2, 2019

Beverly Cleary, without a doubt!

Marguerite Henry books are great, but I'm wondering if they'd be a tad bit advanced for beginning 2nd grade. My 3rd graders loved them. The movie about Misty of Chincoteague is well worth watching--it has some local actors and I could recognize the local "accent" in their speech.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. Dahl's prose uniquely portrays the feelings and actions of the story. He kind of adjusts the sentences and word choice to fit each scene making it a fun book to read aloud. My students enjoyed the older movie version after reading the book, but decided the book was much better than the movie.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert O'Brien. I especially enjoyed matching my voice with the various mouse personalities in this book.

Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater. I vaguely recall a scientific error of some sort in the book, but otherwise, delightful.

A. A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh--definitely!