Read Alouds/Lessons

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by evansmommy, Jul 22, 2010.

1. evansmommy

evansmommy New Member

Jul 22, 2010

Please post your favorite read alouds with a lesson to go with it. I use these the first two weeks, and I'm looking for some good ideas.

I read Rainbow Fish. The children each get an outline of a fish, and in it, is written I can share by...........

They fill in the sentence, and then the color the fish in a colorful way. At the end, they glue on a foil scale.

I'm going to incorporate a math lesson with it this year also, but I haven't decided how yet!

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 22, 2010

I have lots...

Giraffes Can't Dance - we discuss that, while people might not do the same thing the same way, we can all do something!

I Wish I Were a Butterfly - we discuss how what we say can really hurt people, and how everyone is beautiful in their own way.

Chrysanthemum - same as above - only about names.

I Like Me! Kind of the same as above

A Bad Case of Stripes - be yourself

Just the ones off the top of my head! Can you tell I'm in the thick of "beginning of the year" thoughts and I'm thinking a lot about community building??? :whistle:

4. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

I love to read Wemberly Worried and then create a chart on how the students felt the first day of school. Were they nervous, excited or scared?

I also like to read the Night Before First Grade and discuss feelings with this one as well.