Read Aloud Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by EiffelTower, May 24, 2009.

1. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Jun 10, 2009

My students loved Muggie Maggie last year. It's about a girl who doesn't want to learn cursive handwriting. Great way to start off cursive!

2. HurleyTime

HurleyTime New Member

Jun 18, 2009

My kids really loved Jake Drake:Bully Buster by Andrew Clements. I can't wait to read it to my new group this year. I just finished reading The Report Card on my own and I think that's another Clements book that I may read aloud.

3. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Jun 21, 2009

I love the Incredible Journey of Edward Tulane and wouldn't hesitate reading it to my class. It is my favorite each year to read and the kids love it!

A few more I read every year are The BFG and The Boys Start the War (it is a series). I always read my favorites from when I was in third grade - The Twits, Hundred Dresses, Ramona...

4. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

Please, please, please read the Sisters Grimm Fairytale Dectectives to your 3rd graders. This year I read the first and second book in the series to my students. I promise they will LOVE it. In fact, my school librarian had to order several extra copies because it was in high demand.

It is a higher level book but is a great read aloud. My students eventually would bring their copies of the book and read along with me during read aloud (silently of course).

The only thing you have to watch out for is the length. They are pretty long books.....but so worth it!

A few others I read to my kids this year:

The Hundred Dresses
    The BFG

As for the Miraculous Journey of Edward Toulane - I read it last summer and really liked it! I 'think' my students would like it as well.

I also read the Tale of Desperaux - and interstingly enough, I thought THAT book was too morose and depressing for my 3rd graders. I would never read that one to my kids. Isn't it interesting how different our viewpoints are?

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 24, 2009

Rec. Books

Young Teacher, do your students recommend the books verbally to each other, or do they take turns being a book reviewer and do something written for the rest of the class?

6. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

I agree :thumb:

My kids LOVED these books! After reading the first one, I gave them a choice of reading the second book in the series or reading a different book. They ALL wanted to keep reading the series!

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

I read the first Sisters Grimm book to my 5th graders last year, and they loved it as well. Glad to hear it may still work in 3rd grade!

8. lemons11

lemons11 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

My kids liked when I read The Tale of Despereaux last year. You can never go wrong with a Roald Dahl book or Beverly Cleary

9. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

My kids absolutely love Roald Dahl! I have read Fudge books in guided groups. Be aware though that in Superfudge Fudge says he knows Santa is not real. Not sure why Judy Blume felt it necessary to do that but I stay away from that book now!

10. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

I LOVE Judy Blume, but some of the language in the books is "sketchy" for third grade. You'll see words like "stupid" that some third graders believe to be a bad word. Definitely don't read Blubber aloud.

11. TeachABQ

TeachABQ Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

My kids have really enjoyed Shilo, The BFG, and Josephina (from the American Girl series, since we live in New Mexico). I will sometimes read the first book in a series (Magic Treehouse, Boxcar Children, Bailey School Kids...) to get them interested in an author. I also read excerpts from Chicken Soup For the Kid's Soul regularly, followed by discussions and the sharing of similar stories from their own lives. We have had some wonderful conversations based on this book.

12. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

My number one favorite read aloud to third graders is Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (the real Pinocchio, not the Disney version). They are spellbound by this book. It is a wonderful story that is far superior to the Disney version.

The version that is translated by E. Harden and illustrated by Roberto Innocenti has gorgeous illustrations.

13. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

I just finished the Giraffe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl and the kids loved it. My new FAVORITE is Clementine by Sara Pennypacker. Absolutely hilarious book with three currently in the series (the kids beg me to read more!). Last year I did Pippy Longstocking and Frindle too which the kids really enjoyed!

14. Runner

Runner New Member

Sep 18, 2009

A new one this year Punished. I can't remember the author but it's a cute quick read with a ton of good information. It talks about oxymorons, anagrams, redundency and palindromes. My students enjoyed listening once they caught on to the puns.

15. MsR

MsR Rookie

Sep 22, 2009

Dunwool, I just got done reading Frindle to my class and every day they would ask when it would be Frindle time. This book is easy for the students to listen and relate to.