Read Aloud Ideas

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by jojo808, Aug 8, 2009.

1. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

I need read aloud ideas for 6th grade. What have you read that the students loved? Thanks!

3. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

This might be kinda long but I read The Mysterious Benedict Society as part of a training and it was fantastic! It's over 400 pages long but I couldn't put it down. I finished it in a weekend. You could definitely read a part of it to your class as a book hook.

4. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Aug 9, 2009

We were told that "SSR and read alouds would have to be done at home this year." :( No time for it with the new EL requirements. How stupid is that?!? I like The Summer of the Monkeys though.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 9, 2009

That is crazy because half the kids won't do it. Make time, even if it's just 10 minutes a day while they work. Since I have traveling classes, I'm thinking I might do sampler reading-that is reading small snippets from different books, magazine and newspaper articles, etc. that I think would interest them or illustrate something I am trying to teach.

6. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Runs w/scissors---That is a great idea!

7. August

August Rookie

Sep 6, 2009

With read alouds, what do the students do while the teacher is reading? Do they need their own copies of the book to follow along?

8. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2009

I have 2 books going for my 4 classes ..Mouse and the Motorcycle and Holes. ( One period chose M and M)

They really like Holes. I use it as a time filler if I have 5 min left at the end of the period.

August mine just listen

I read the true story of the three little pigs as an example of how oral traditions and stories are passed from generation to generation and changed. They LOVED it , they were so into it I was shocked. :) I think all kids love to be read to!

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 6, 2009

Since I will have about 45 min. in the morning for enrichment time, due to pull outs & such to help along...., I plan on reading from the Wimpy Kid series as well as doing daily oral language. My plan is to gradually incorporate DOL in English.

10. Researcher

Researcher Rookie

Sep 7, 2009

I've previously done:

6th Grade - Glory Field (Myers)
    5th Grade - Walk Two Moons (Creech)

I'd like to do:
    Where the Red Fern Grows (in addition)

You generally want to choose a read aloud that is:
    -exciting, a page turner (I generally only read one chapter/day, and actually, I don't do it everyday)
    -at a slightly higher reading level than they're used to

While you read aloud, students generally listen (and pay attention, if they like the book. If not, change it!). As a simple response activity, we discuss a particular genre element (or use it for our short story genre study) for about 5 min (max). If I really want to use it as an enrichment (I have), get the teacher's companion for the book, which contains reading comprehension, vocab, extention ideas. You can also check for these online.

Good luck!

11. paddlepops

paddlepops Rookie

Nov 16, 2009

I am currently reading 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books to my sixth graders. They like those books because they are exciting and they get to make choices. I suggest 'Cool School: You decide what happens" by John Marsden.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 16, 2009

I got throught about the fourth chapter and put it down. I'm not sure why, but it just didn't capture me.

13. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Dec 20, 2009

do you need read-aloud suggestions?

not sure what grade but here's some:

diary of a whimy kid - even adults like it
    bronx masquerade
    locomotion
    freak the mighty
    any sharon draper novels
    last things first
    can't get there from here

14. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 6, 2010

I think I might do the Wimpy Kid series, I bought them for my husband last year lol. He loves them. I did Read Alouds my first and second year. My third year, I did do it a few times, but last year I don't know why I just didnt try. Now I feel bad. I think its back to doign the Read Alouds.

Alot of my students come from Mexico, they cross daily and they don't know any of the kids books growing up. Would it be wrong to start off with those such as Cinderally, Three Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood, Etc? I feel bad, but in my experience they know only a few and some look at me like I made it up.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2010

I read aloud almost every day to my grade 7 and 8 students. I read picture books, newspaper articles and novels. Favourites of mine are: We All Fall Down (a novel by Canadian author Eric Walters about the tragedy at the Twin Towers), Holes, Hatchet, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Last year, our grade 6 teacher read The Lightning Thief before the movie came out. I think that the most important thing is that you choose something that you love!

16. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 6, 2010

I have used the following books as read alouds with my sixth graders:

Loser, The Watsons Go to Birmingham, Al Capone Does My Shirts, portions of The Diary of Anne Frank, The Tale of Despereaux, Hoot . . . (I know there are more, but that's all I can remember right now lol)

I agree with a previous poster, pick something interesting that's at a slightly higher reading level. Read aloud allows your students to be exposed to literature that they all might not have been able to access on their own. By reading with the class and discussing the book, all students can learn from the discussion of plot, vocab, etc. That's why I wouldn't do Wimpy Kid as a read aloud in my room - because my lowest readers can easily read it themselves.

While I'm reading, sometimes they just listen, sometimes they respond to a prompt I give them in their response journal (just a packet I make up for each book) and sometimes I ask them to focus on a specific reading strategy. For example, if we're working on questioning, students write different questions (thick vs thin or QAR) on a notecard as we read that day and then turn them into a basket. I start the next time reading by pulling some questions from the basket. We not only discuss a response to the question, but also what type of question it is, why it helps us readers, etc. Another example, while working on inferencing, I have a graphic organizer that students fill out while reading.

One other thing I do with read aloud - I often let the students choose. Unless I have a specific book I really want to read, I give my class three choices and give a book talk on each one, then they vote.

17. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 6, 2010

If you don't mind me asking, how long does this take each day? It sounds like a very well planned idea. However, I only have 50 minutes with each class. I do have my last period as spelling/handwriting with my homeroom and I could easily fit it in during that hour, but my other class would msis out. :help:

18. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

I wish I had more time for read aloud! Depending on the day and what I have time for, it can take anywhere from 10-20 minutes.