read aloud help!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dunwool, Mar 18, 2008.

1. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Mar 18, 2008

I am working toward my master's degree and we are talking about read alouds. Please help me out and let me know what grade you teach, what your favorite read alouds are, and where you teach. All help would be greatly appreciated!!

3. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Mar 18, 2008

I teach in Montgomery, Illinois in a second grade public school classroom. I use read alouds every day. For second graders, I like to read chapter books that may be too difficult for them to read, but are still age appropriate. Some of my favorites are the Hank Zipzer series by Henry Winkler, Muggie Maggie by Beverly Cleary (we start cursive in 2nd and it's all about cursive), The Chocolate Touch is a fun one too. I've also read Frindle in the past. I just love doing them because so many students need to hear a fluent reader. They need to hear the expression and rhythm of what reading should sound like. Hope that helps!

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Mar 18, 2008

I teach second grade in a PA suburb outside of Philly. We are finishing up The Mouse and the Motorcycle and it is a big hit, especially with the boys. Great for vocabulary, visualizing, predictions, connections, inferences, etc!

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 18, 2008

I teach 5th grade in a town outside of Omaha. I have been reading A Wrinkle In Time to the class, but we might set it aside. The kids seem to be rather confused by the different scientific concepts in it; I didn't realize it would be so hard for them. Other read-aloud favorites have been Snow Treasure, The Tail of Despereaux, and Jennifer Murdley's Toad. I also use picture books that tie in with our units of study. For some of them, this is the only exposure they get to adults enjoying literature. For some it may encourage them to read other books like ones I've read in class they enjoyed. At this age, they need to hear what fluent reading sounds like because most of them have not yet mastered this skill.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 18, 2008

I teach kindergarten in a public school in Maine. I like to read Kevin Henkes, and I'm blanking on all the rest of the books I love to read at the moment. I actually practice reading to my dog at home. I practice when to lower my voice, raise my voice and when I should read very slowly and when to read fast. I know the dog thinks I'm nuts!

7. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Mar 19, 2008

I teach 4th in CA and so far this year we have read Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Bunnicula and Frindle. They liked them all. We are now reading Walk Two Moons and I would not read it aloud again. It is too slow. I wanted to abandon it and the class voted not to. Go figure.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 19, 2008

I read the opening chapter of Maniac Magee as an example of sentence fluency. Now they want me to read the whole book. I'm torn though because last time I read it the class couldn't understand the point behind the children drinking beer (lack of adult supervision due to racial fanatacism). I swore I'd never read it aloud again. I'm just not sure about this one.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 23, 2008

I have a 2nd grade, identified gifted class and in the fall I used my A.M. read alouds for a two week author study of Jan Brett. I just finished up w/2 weeks of NF biographies ranging from Odd Man Out Albert Einstein, Chopin, De Vinci, Harriet Tubman, Grandma Moses, Mozart, Snowflake Bentley, etc. All these people were extrordinary in overcoming some type of adversity or were very different. I think it helps them know in advance that life might be hard, not perfect, and they can overcome whatever life throws at them. When I return from spring break I'm going to do an author study on Patricia Polacco books. We'll do compare/contrast, plot studies, character studies, predictions, etc. Last summer I spent about two weeks organizing all my read alouds so that I'd have something appropriate to read for all the holidays. This way I had 180 favorites lined up. I ordered a lot of my books from The Book Source. I think their online url is: thebooksource.com (might be net?) any how, the books are arranged by genres and grade level. It's been extraordinary source in helping me get the books I wanted on grade level. In the fall I also read about two weeks of folk tales from all cultures. Also, Janet Stevens books are some of my favorites. I try to read a lot of non-fiction to my students, too.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 23, 2008

I teach 3rd and 4th grade at a private school in Seattle. My favorite read alouds are Poppy by Avi, The World According to Humphrey by Betty G Birney, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing By Judy Blume, Muggy Maggy By Beverly Cleary, Hoot by Carl Hiaason, and then usually I do a read aloud relating to a theme we are studying or a play we will go see. This varies each year. For instance, I read The BFG By Roald Dalhl, Hamlet a picture book by Bruce Colville, and The Hundred Dresses By Eleanor Estes because we were to see the plays.

For our thematic units, I also will read different books in relation to the theme, whether it takes place in a country we are studying, or covers a time period, etc. I am also reading a biography a day of famous Americans during morning meeting. I was surprised to hear my students didn't know who Paul Revere was, so I thought I'd introduce them to him and other great American icons.

11. JustT

JustT Comrade

Mar 23, 2008

4th Grade: Tales of Desperaux, Because of Winn Dixie, Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, Stone Fox, Shiloh, Looser are some of my favorites.

I'll also read Fairytales by Kellogh, Patricia Pollaco books, and National Geographic & Time for Kids articles. Yep, they really enjoy the non-fiction genre also.

12. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Mar 23, 2008

Kindergarten in Danville Public Schools (Southern VA).

We LOVE: ALL the Bear Books (Bear Snores on, Bear Wants More, etc) by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman; Anything Eric Carle, ESPECIALLY From Head to Toe; The Click Clack Books (forget author); And all Dr. Seuss.

(FYI-My personal child-4-loves these as well. He also loves Berenstain Bears too, but some of my K kids won't sit well for it.)

Anything that rhymes is great. Their favorite poem is Shel Silverstein's Sick.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 24, 2008

Last year I started my year with a Gary Paulsen unit, we read Hatchet, and I read one-can't remember the title right now-ugh, my brain is frozen. It wasn't a Brian book-grr, making me mad I can't remember. Anyway, I had a class full of boys and they ate it up, so I ended up tossing out the other read alouds I had planned and read the rest of the Brian series. They loved it.

I like to read different books every year, mostly so I don't get bored. I have read Maniac Magee, Esperanza Rising, The Giver, The City of Ember and the next one-The Return of Sparks? something like that. Also, I read A Day No Pigs Would Die once, but I actually had a student cry, so I'm not sure I would read that again.

One that I do read every year, without fail, is the Odyssey. I found a kids' version that isn't so graphic and difficult, and my kids loooove it. We read it while studying ancient Greece.

Oh, and I teach 6th grade, rural Nebraska.

14. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Mar 24, 2008

I teach kindergarten in the suburbs of philly. I love reading Junie B. Jones to my little guys.
    When I taught 5th, my favorite was The Indian in the Cupboard.

15. loveteaching829

loveteaching829 Rookie

Mar 24, 2008

Does anyone use nonfiction? What are some titles of nonfiction you use?

16. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

Mar 24, 2008

I've read Pippi Longstocking and Stuart Little to my second graders this year. The vocab is a bit challenging for each but they enjoyed each book. For Pippi we watched the movie afterwards so they could compare it with the book. Many of them saw Stuart Little before I read the book and we compared as we read.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Mar 26, 2008

The first grade class I will be subbing for later this spring LOVES the Magic Treehouse books -- they get at least 2 chapters a day (at different times)!

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 26, 2008

We The Kids, John, Paul, George, and Ben, I have an awesome biography of Thomas Jefferson in picture book form but can't remember the title, I Have A Dream, My Brother Martin, Westward Ha! Ha!, Awesome Ancient Americans! are some of my favorites.

19. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

I teach 4th gr in MI.

Favorite 4th grade read alouds:
    Tales of a 4th grade nothing
    Tales of Desperaux
    The School Story
    There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom
    Sideways stories from Wayside School
    Lunch Money
    The Report card
    No talking

Any books by Avi are wonderful too. Very descriptive. There are SO many out there!

20. annafish

annafish Companion

Mar 26, 2008

for nonfiction I love Gail Gibbons books.

21. mmis

mmis Companion

Mar 28, 2008

I teach 1st grade in Alabama. Patricia Pollacco books are wonderful
    books to read aloud. Cynthia Rylant books are great for mental images and descriptive writing. Series such as Tacky the Penguin and Henry and Mudgeare great for the repetition that helps promote the love of reading while teaching comprehension skills.
    Right now I read a different version of Cinderella every day. (Bigfoot Cinderella, Cindy Ellen, Egyptian Cinderella, etc.)

22. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

Hi, I teach second grade in Bourbon, Mo. I love read aloud. I have read Because of Winn Dixie, Pippi Longstocking, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and Stuart Little. I am in the middle of Charlotte's Web now, they really love it, and I plan to read Peter Pan next.

I try to read books that are a little above their level as well. I make sure to really get into the characters and make them come to life. I also like to watch the movie afterward as a treat. Sometimes, it takes us a while to get through a book, so the movies are spread out quite a bit.

I have seen a vast improvement on their listening skills since the beginning of the year. I would have students interupt me as I would read and they are much better about sitting quietly and listening.

23. momx3

momx3 Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

There is a book called Interactive Read Aloud- Linda Hoyt it list all kinds of read aloud books and various lessons. It is published by Heinemann. It is clustered by k-1, 2-3. 4-5. We have been using them all year at our school for planning and enjoyment. they are a bit pricey around 60 dollars but well worth it!

One of my personal fav- The Chocolate Touch- 3rd grade as well as Be a Perfect Person in just Three Days