Read Aloud for second grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dunwool, Nov 19, 2008.

1. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Nov 19, 2008

I'm a student teacher in a second grade classroom and I am looking for ideas for read alouds that we could do during our carpet time. So far we read Roald Dahl books - "The Giraffe, the Pelly, and Me" and "The BFG", Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg, Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren, and we are thinking about starting the Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary. Do you have any suggestions for chapter books to read? I want something that will keep their interest and can be read in short segments since we only have about 15 minutes per day to read. Thanks for the suggestions!

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

Hmmm The Doll People?

4. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Nov 19, 2008

I teach second grade math but I do a read aloud at the end of the day while the kids are getting ready to go home. I have found my students LOVE the jigsaw jones books. Right now I am reading magic tree house Thanksgiving on Thursday but the kids don't like it. Yesterday they asked me when they could go back to jigsaw.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

Hijack- Pinkfish, for some reason I do not like the Magic Treehouse books at all. Do you find yourself not paying attention as you read them? I haven't read them to my class this year but I did as a sub. I have some high readers and they have a few they like to read on their own but definitely not all of them. We have read some Junie B. but I change a few of the words.

OP- Do they like Horrible Harry? There is also a book called the Candy Corn Contest that is pretty engaging.

6. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Nov 19, 2008

I hate the magic treehouse books. I got Thanksgiving on Thursday to do for Thanksgiving but it really stinks. The kids are bored with it and so am I! I went and got the Magic Schoolbus thanksgiving book and I am going to do it with them instead and trash the Treehouse book. I tried reading today and like 6 students asked if we could please go back to Jigsaw...

7. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Nov 19, 2008

Mine also love Horrible Harry books (& Jigsaw Jones).

8. cheerfulfifi

cheerfulfifi Rookie

Nov 19, 2008

Ramona books (Beverly Cleary) were a big hit in my class... they got into it a lot more than I thought they would and they loved reading a chapter book. We just started "The Littles" and they're liking that too.

9. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

Oh! My students are reading Thanksgiving on Thursday this week, and they like (not love) it just fine. One of our standards requires second graders to use non-fiction books to locate information, so we are using the accompanying Magic Tree House "Pilgrims" book.

As for the original post, if you like Roald Dahl books, my kids love "The Magic Finger".

10. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

I love "The Tale of Despereaux" and I am currently reading "Daisy Dawson is on her Way" which is adorable and the kids love.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 19, 2008

It's short, but my daughter's class just read Molly's Pilgrim.