Read Aloud Chapter Books

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by mrs.groves, Jun 3, 2008.

1. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

I just finished my first year of teaching. Looking back I know I read ALOT to my kids but I wish I had more stories "chapter books" that they can understand. I read a few Junie B. Jones and I like them but I have to admit I would like a change throughout the year. I have many great stories from 3rd grade that I remember from my elementary days but they are too high for my kids.

Do any of you have chapter books that you LOVE to read to your class?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2008

I am reading Charlotte's Web right now and have read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. We also read the Twits. They were all crowd pleasers!!!

4. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

The Magic treehouse series is probably a winner too

5. mgm98

mgm98 New Member

Jun 4, 2008

I like to read books that also have a movie to go along too that they can watch later on. This year, we read Anne of Green Gables and I also read Nims Island right before the movie was released. They seemed to really like Nims.

Last year, we read the Boxcar Children, Little House in the Big Woods and my children heard Charlotte's Webb and Stuart Little, Matilda, and Superfudge in their classes also. Hope this helps!:)

6. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jun 4, 2008

I'm glad you came up with this topic mrs.groves. I was at Barnes and Noble the other day and was thinking of what other chapter books would be good for first grade. I read Junie B. Jones and they love her books, but like you I was wanting a change. How about Henry and Mudge?

7. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

We read the Mercy Watson series and my kids LOVED them. It is by Katie DiCamillio, and is about a pig. We also read 26 Fairmount Ave. and the sequel Here We All Are by Tomie dePaola when we did our author study. We read Ramona the Pest and that was a hit. I have Pippi Longstocking but we didn't get to it this year.

8. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Thanks for the comments. I just checked out a couple of books from the library to "screen" read this summer.

I have heard great things about The Stories Julian Tells by Cameron so I am reading that right now. Also, these two I remember from 3rd grade and I think I am going to reread to see if they are too old for my kids. I know they would be fun though because I still remember them! Danger in Quicksand Swamp by Bill Wallace and The BFG by Ronald Dahl.

I'll update after reading.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 4, 2008

If you are looking to buy chapter books, check out Savers! I buy a ton of them there. Usually they are good quality and 69 cents each!

Let's see, we read Junie B. First Grader: At Last! as our first read aloud. We have read Charlotte's Web, Ramona the Pest, Magic Tree House, Cam Jansen, Amelia Bedelia, Frog and Toad... I can't remember what else?

Next year I want to read more Roald Dahl books (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for sure!)

10. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Miss Kirby, Thanks for your help. What is Savers? Is it a store or a website?

11. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

We read several Junie B. Jones, some Magic Tree House, Flat Stanley, Charlotte's Web, Ramona the Pest, Ramona the Brave, Little House in the Big Woods, Penelope the Pig, The Boxcar Children, Ribsy, The Mouse and the Motorcycle...I know there's more but I am having a mental block. There was not one of those they didn't enjoy.

12. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2008

My Father's Dragon is fun.

13. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 4, 2008

Read Alouds

I taught third grade and then moved to first. Keep in mind children's listening comprehension is higher than their reading comprehension. When I first moved to first, I kinda thought a lot of what I was reading was too hard. But, I have read a ton of great books through the years. One thing I would recommend with 1st (which seems like you have done), start with books with short chapters or stop after sometime to build their listening stamina. One of my all time favorites, hilarious get you hooked on read alouds is Sideways Stories from Wayside School (great boy/girl book too!). The chapters are short, and the characters have some strange quirks. Others are- Indian and the Cupboard, Charlotte's Web, The Twits, Because of Winn Dixie (can't go wrong with dogs- first graders love them), The Witches, Junie B. (of course!), Boxcar Children (this was the class fav this year), The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Little House in the Big Woods, Judy Moody, and of course Magic Tree House! :up:

14. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

These are great titles for next year. What time of year do you start reading chapter books? With one month left in the school year, I started to read the Horrible Harry series to my 1st graders. I read the first book, then they voted on the next book I'd read. By the end of the 1st book, some of my students were asking the librarian if they could check outt heir own book to take home to read! I like the series because both the girls and boys are interested, the chapters are pretty short, and there are lots of titles to choose from. :) We got through 3 books by the end of the year.

15. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

The Chocolate Touch is good!

16. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jun 23, 2008

I love to read Superfudge and my 1st graders LOVED The Last of the Great Wangdoodles by Julie Andrews. Otherwise I love the rest of the books that have been mentioned.

17. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jun 30, 2008

I can't believe no one has said the Ready Freddy series! They are similiar to Junie B. but easier to read and understand. My children love the Ready Freddy Pumpkin Elf book and we had our own "pumpkin elf" visit mysteriously. PLEASE check one out. We have read "Tooth Trouble" Runaway Hamster" "Camping Disaster" and "Pumpkin Elf" I bought the book on CD set also and we listened to "Shark Tooth?" as a quiet relaxing activity and I could get some things done.

18. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jun 30, 2008

I agree! :2up: