read aloud chapter books?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by lucylucy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Jul 6, 2011

I'm moving to second grade next year and the class I'll be getting is very much below (DRA 20 approx) where they should be coming into second. My class is made up of second language learners. I loved reading the BFG to my 4th graders several years ago, but I think that the vocabulary in that one could be real tough... What chapter books do you read to your class throughout the year?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2011

TAL and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane!

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2011

I teach 3rd, but hubby and I have read many of the books I read in class to our son. He'll be turning 6 (going into 1st) in a few weeks, but we started when he was 4. We've done (and he's LOVED):
    Charlotte's Web
    Mouse and the Motorcycle series
    Moongobble Series
    Trumpet of the Swan
    Stuart Little
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    and a bunch more along those lines

I'm actually going to read the BFG to him when we finish our current rereading of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

FWIW, he's a pretty bright kid, but not gifted or advanced in any way so I think these would be fine for your population.

5. JLT63

JLT63 Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

Last year my kids LOVED Pippi Longstocking. It didn't help that it was my favorite book as a young child and I was constantly telling them this.. hee hee ;)

We ended up reading three Pippi books and at the end of the year we watched the movie and compared and contrasted them. We also did a lot of writing prompts while I was reading it, and it lent itself to lots of different discussions. Some of the words are dated, but we had good discussions of what people "used to" call things "in the olden days" (when I was a child!) :)

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

Magic Treehouse series
    Charlottes Web
    Box car children
    Mr Poppers Penguins
    Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
    Horrible Harry

7. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jul 19, 2011

My 2nd graders loved the Wayside school books, Charlotte's Web, the Magic Treehouse books, and Horrible Harry.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

The Enormous Egg

Little House books

Ramona books

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Horrid Henry

Boxcar Children

Snake and Lizard (chapter book by Joy Cowley)

9. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 2, 2011

The "My Weird School" series (Dan Gutman) is popular with my kids. The first one is called Miss Daisy is Crazy, and is about the first few weeks of second grade, so it's an excellent one to start the year with. My second graders also love Horrible Harry books, the Amber Brown books, and Katie Kazoo books. Magic Treehouse books are good for later in the year. The nice thing about reading the first book in a series aloud is that you have "blessed the books", and kids really want to read others in the series. I also read Bunnicula around Halloween. Hope this helps!

10. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

thanks for all the very helpful suggestions!!

11. MissBelle

MissBelle Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

I didn't think a DRA score of 20 is below where a student should be entering 2nd at all. All of my students are coming in below that except for one (not sure how accurate their scores are until I re-assess them, though). If that's below, then where should they be on average? DRA is new to me and my school, and I'm working on familiarizing myself with it.

This is a great thread! I've been thinking about read aloud chapter books, as well, and there are great suggestions here!

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 3, 2011

I did my ST in 2nd years ago...

I read Matilda to them... my favorite book. Still Dahl's humor but easier to understand than BFG.

When I came in, they were just finishing Ralph S. Mouse (or one of those in that series), and after Matilda, we read "Help, I'm a Prisoner in the Library." That one's a little shorter, but prefect for cold winter days... and features a kid their age.

13. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

woah! typo on my part! you are correct: a 20 is not below grade level. I intended to type a 10. Most of my students are coming in at a DRA 10. (they should leave first grade at a 16)

14. MissBelle

MissBelle Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

Whew! I'm glad to hear that because I was a little worried, haha. Like I said, I'm new to DRA and I'm trying to figure out where my kiddos will be...and I'm also a 1st year teacher, so I'm easily confused!!

15. krissy83

krissy83 Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

2nd graders love Junie. B. Jones, Magic Treehouse, Ready Freddy, The Littles Series. J.B. Jones is a pretty basic chapter series (level 20-24). As far as read-alouds, BFG is fine but maybe you'll want to read it later in the year. When you teach inferencing (I do in January-Feb.) a higher-level book as a read aloud is great because you can have the students infer the meaning of some trickier words. I would do like one word each time you read though, so they don't get sick of it.