Read aloud chapter books

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jlj, Jul 9, 2010.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Do you read chapter books & if so, would you please share your list? I'm thinking books read during rest time, extra time, etc. that are continued each day, rather than the regular short stories.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

I have a hard time finding good chapter books for kindergarten, too. I like the first Magic Tree House book, but I don't like it when they get into the whole "Morgan spirit" thing or whatever. Even I got confused then.

My kids also enjoyed Freckle Juice. Some people like Junie B. Jones, but I think it's way over the kids' heads and more appropriate for 2nd/3rd grade.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

My kids liked Toys Go Out (and the sequel Toys Dance Party) Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Mouse and the Motorcycle, the Doll People.

I am a firm believer in reading to them above grade level to help establish that vocabulary and comprehension. We also had a little reading response journal that they would write/draw what happened that day in the chapter to help them keep track of the plot and characters. We would read every day in the 10-15 mins between their restroom break and lunch-the kids would come back in the room, everyone would be on the carpet and one would have the book another would have my water bottle for me-so cute!

5. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jul 10, 2010

Gooney Bird Greene

Marvin Red Post

Junie B. Jones

Stink

Judy Moody

Frog and Toad
    Magic Treehouse
    Nate The Great
    My Weird School
    Little House chapter books
    Ready, Freddy!
    The Kids of Polk Street School
    Horrible Harry
    The Lunch Bunch
    Cam Jansen
    Jigsaw Jones Mysteries

6. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

Every year my kids have loved Junie B. Jones!! We read one Magic Tree House book when we were talking about dinosaurs but that was the only one. They love Junie B though!

7. funnyteacher

funnyteacher Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

Junie B Jones. My kids love it!

8. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 11, 2010

I like cam jansen and katie kazoo

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 11, 2010

For those of you who read Junie B. Jones: do you "edit"? I read one Junie B. book once and every time she said "hate" or "stupid" the kids' jaws dropped open. I teach in a suburban school where many of the kids come from wealthy families and attend church, and most of them said they aren't allowed to say those words at home.

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

My son is going into K in the fall and my DH reads chapter books to him each night to work on comprehension. So far they have read:

Charlotte's Web
    Mouse and the Motorcycle
    Runaway Ralph
    Stuart Little
    Trumpet of the Swan
    Moongobble Series

They are currently reading The Wizard of Oz.

My aide read the Junie B Series to my K class. I have mixed feelings on it.

11. freddy

freddy Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

I feel like we are constantly hurrying kids to the next stage. I read Picture Books, especially Caldecott winners. Classics I loved like Make Way for Ducklings, Yertle the Turtle , The Little Engine that Could, Miss Rumphius, The Biggest Bear, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, Ferdinand,Horton Hears a Who, etc, etc.. these books still have a "challenging vocabulary" , I feel like we rush to the chapter book stage and miss some of the many beautiful picture books out there. We can't assume anymore that kids have had these wonderful picture books read to them at home, the list is endless!

12. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

I agree that picture books can still have wonderful and challenging vocabulary. I do start reading chapter books while the kids eat snack during the second half of the year though. I think it helps kids with their comprehension skills. I like Stuart Little, Flat Stanley, and Henry and Mudge.